December 13, 2021

[Reviews] The Imperial Coroner

A coroner and a detective/criminal psychologist.
Chinese Title
御賜小仵作 
Year2021
Episodes: 36



Cast

Wang Zi QiXiao Jin Yu
Su Xiao TongChu Chu
Yang Ting DongJing Yi
Zhao Yao Ke: Leng Yue
Wang Yan BinXiao Jin Li
Guo Qiu Cheng: Xue Ru Cheng


Crew

(Updated as of May 2022)
The Sword and the BrocadeThe Eternal Love of DreamLove in BetweenMy Love, Enlighten MeForever LoveThe HeiressMr. Fox and Miss RoseMr. Honesty

DirectorLou Jian 

ScriptwriterQing Xian Ya Tou

ScriptwriterQian Xiao Bai

ProducerLi Er Yun 
♠ The Longest Promise [Xiao ZhanRen Min
♠ My Little Happiness (2021)
♠ Cross Fire (2020) 
♠ Fairyland Lovers (2020) 
♠ Forever Love (2020) 
♠ The Heiress (2020) 
♠ Love in Between (2020) 
♠ Miss S (2020) 
♠ Mr. Fox and Miss Rose (2020) 
♠ Mr. Honesty (2020) 
♠ Twisted Fate of Love (2020) 
♠ Legend of the Phoenix (2019) 
♠ Walk into Your Memory (2019) 
♠ A Love So Beautiful (2017)



Genres


Time/WorldPeriod
RomanceRomance
SettingPalace
Other RelationshipsBromanceSismanceTeam
Other GenresMystery



Reviews



Five (5/5)


Reviewer: cynlynn 
(Copied and pasted from Recaps&Review)
Hearts: ♥♥
Ah~, how do I review this? 一两句说不清楚. And so, I have two reviews! The one below is a general one. It's “shorter" and more concise (like my regular reviews). The second one is a dissection of certain plots and themes, and mainly for those who want to relive the drama.

[A Pure Detective Drama] The Imperial Coroner is a logical deductive reasoning drama and not a whodunit. You will know exactly who did it by the middle of the drama. This is a pure detective drama that doesn’t rely on extra thriller or suspense elements. “Who” isn’t the question. That’s too easy for our drama. It is the answers for "How" and "Why" that makes this drama one of the best in its kind. 

Every part of this drama is meticulously and surgically planned out. The courtesan who appears in the beginning will be mentioned at multiple junctions in the drama when I've completely forgotten her. Xu Ru Gui has one identity after another identity and each serve a vital turning point in the story. The bridge that was built five years ago, seemingly an unimportant detail holds the key to one man's disappearance and the clue to a bigger conspiracy. This drama leaves no stone unturned and it will also turn it over and over again, exposing multiple hidden facets. Xiao Heng's endgame, the mastermind's endgame, and the interconnection between the fathers are details I continue to relish on despite finishing the drama. There's so much to extrapolate; the drama will lay it out but it won't spell it out. It doesn't need to. 

[Romance] I love romance in my dramas no matter what dose it comes in. The romance here compliments the mystery. It's not overpowering and when I do notice we should really get back onto the case, it's Chu Chu who's the logical one, reminding Xiao Jin Yu things like there's still dead bodies to examine. Xiao Jin Yu being so sweet was out of my expectation. Not only did he genuinely confess his cowardice (Ep26), there were also scenes like the contract (Ep33), his reasons to refuse her grand event (Ep35) and the return of his anger for reasons of love (Ep36). When I thought our stoic Xiao Jin Yu cannot be any sweeter, he does. Their romance does another wonderful thing: it teases out a lot of fun interactions between the team.

[Teamwork/Cast] I adore how the cast can intermingle with anyone. There isn't just bromance between Xiao Jin Yu and his “brothers". The "brothers" have their own rivalry – not over a girl, but over Xiao Jin Yu, which is so cute. Then the drama throws in Leng Yue amidst the boys – and she sort of is like a boy. Leng Yue also has her romantic line with Jing Yi and a sisterly line with Chu Chu. The father's generation have their connections too. After you finish the drama, I highly encourage you to think about how everyone is related to everyone. All the character setups, the interrelation between their families, and its alignment to historical accuracy is truly an attestation to how well thought out this drama was from the very beginning. 

Our team each have their specialty: Chu Chu is the expert of the dead; Xiao Jin Yu is the expert of the living; Jing Yi is the agent of socialization and the master of qinggong; Leng Yue is the pro of jianghu and the doctor; Xiao Jin Li is the strong protector (he’s also over-protective with a case of brother complex). There’s no hole in this team. Each character’s strengths are maximized according to the case. What I love the most is when our team pools in their specialties and collaborates for scenes like the cave (Ep25) and the grand finale. Everyone has a part to play, and it’s even more entertaining when our sinister forces can hold their own. 

The drama is quite adept at creating characters and associating them with an object or a quirk that's unique to them (despite being so busy with the mystery, court conspiracy, romances, and bromances!!). My list might differ from your list but I'd say most of it should be the same:

Xiao Jin Yu: Little Goldfish
Chu Chu: Chicken
Xiao Jin Li一两句说不清楚
Jing Yi: Pain
Leng Yue: Rice
Leng Pei ShanHo ho ho
Prince Chang: Candle
Xiao Heng: Rock
Princess Xi Ping: Grass
Daddy Jing: Chariot
Qin Luan: Mustache
Emperor: Craftsmanship

The ones I bold are ones I think unanimously stood out. In Chinese, everyone types Xiao Jin Yu as Little Goldfish (xiaojinyu). Xiao Jin Li's 一两句说不清楚 is the catchphrase. 

[Verdict] One of the best detective Cdramas (+ a cute romance)


Reviewer: FanFanX 
(See in comments under Recaps&Review)
Date: Dec 2021
Hearts: ♥♥ 
Nope. There was no way to binge this one. Sometimes, I’m the type to mindlessly watch/listen as I’m working on something else. No way to do that with this one. And I’m not complaining!

The cast is amazing. Wang Zi Qi is superb in this. I’ve never seen Su Xiao Tong before and she’s just adorable. Even the bad guys were excellent to watch.
I waited a while to watch this, as I’d recently watched Once We Get Married, but it didn’t matter - I kept seeing Xiao Jin Yu (Prince An) as Yin Si Chen. xD Xiao Jin Yu is a very serious and particular person. (Perhaps this is what you’d want in a judge anyway.) He has so many secrets and conditions. lol He’s a Prince in every sense then?! :P I have a great appreciation for his relationship with his brother, Xiao Jin Li. It’s rare to see royal brothers get along as well as they do. When Xiao Jin Li carried him up the stairs, I just busted out laughing at the absurdity of it - it’s his dangling long legs! His failed proposal - too soon, too soon!

Chu Chu is so cute (but naive at times). I love her two hair buns (Knots?) She has the cutest hair! lol (I actually think this actress looks great with bangs as I’m usually of the opinion that bangs are just a distraction/looks bad.) She has such a good personality and has good intentions. I like how she’s a great coroner, insightful and observant, and she’s so positive, especially in the face of adversity. And somehow, she is more logical when things go awry for Xiao Jin Yu.

Jing Yi is the epic third wheel. I just loooove Jing Yi. (I've seen Yang Ting Dong in Young and Beautiful, and so glad to see him be less lovelorn in this.) I like seeing him in his hat and red robes the most. (His other wig with the pompadour/side bangs is so bizarre. lol) (I saw your comment about Jing Li/Jin Yi... lol Try typing three Yans in A Female Student Arrives at the Imperial College and I’m sure it’s all different Chinese characters.) His half-smile is the best. His epic eye roll in Ep22. LOL (Why am I so into eye rolling?! Then again, I’ve perfected it since childhood - my mother still hates it. :D) How does Jing Yi look so good as a woman??! Aww, he really likes Leng Yue.

And I love Leng Yue, too. She’s so ferocious, can fight her own battles, and won’t take crap from anyone, least of all, from Jing Yi. LOL I didn’t anticipate how much she’d bicker with Xiao Jin Yi though. Those two are like oil and water. And I love her protectiveness with Chu Chu.

Xiao Jin Li is such an awesome brother. I love how different they are but they get along so well, and are generally supportive of each other. One of my favorite scenes is when he’s snooping on Xiao Jin Yu and Chu Chu, and then Jing Yi shows up to snoop on him. It’s like picture-in-picture. Hahaha. Oh, and I enjoyed his gaze - his eyes are intense and serious. (I think I'm starting to realize why I like some of these period pieces more - the men also have less bangs! lol) E21, his stinky sock. I seriously did not expect that from him - and thought it was more of something that Jing Yi would do!

Ep20, When Xiao Jin Yi and Jing Yi are squabbling and fighting like a pair of teenage boys. From one trying to be taller than the other, down to the booger flinging. LOL I had to replay that a few times because I kept watching Jing Yi’s face.

Ep21, Oh man, I love what the black rocks symbolize. I just love the meaning behind it. I had to replay it a few times just to listen more carefully to the dialogue.
Ep24,The failed gifts, LOL! I love how Leng Yue and Jing Yi both laugh at his failed flower gift to Chu Chu.

Ep32, Awwww, his goldfish pout when she’s consoling him about Duke Chang. (How is this not Yin Si Chen?! lol) Ep33, and now I see Yin Si Chen’s cuteness in Xiao Jin Yu, when she squishes his face! lol

Ep34, Crap. I seriously teared up when Chu Chu and Xiao Jin Yu gave the black rock tokens back to Princess Xi Ping, and then they replayed the parents’ scene. And the part after that... *Bawling* I like to think that having two sons had to be a comfort to her when her husband went missing.

Ep35, LOL Jing Yi’s comment about Leng Yue being responsible for him. Bwahaha.

Ep36, I love it when a good plan comes together! Yay, they won!

I haven't heard a good eunuch voice in years. This one takes the cake, and gives me the creeps. Qin Luan’s mustache fussing doesn't help. And his "smile". *cringing* Ha. When he’s singing in prison...reminds me of my childhood, when my father would put on some Chinese opera music on full blast, and my mother would be yelling at him for it. Ha.

OMG. Chu He. Why is he so useless?! He’s so gullible. >.< Just stay at home already! lol

The reenactments of them trying to solve the murders was very clever with the use of animation, great camera shots and editing.

I really enjoyed this series - and truth be told, I had an easier time following it with your recaps. It's not only a story of romance - it's a story about brotherhood, believing in humanity and doing what's right. I love the five of them, plus the friendships/alliances of the previous generation. In the face of adversity, it's hard to know who to trust - but everyone trusts in Xiao Jin Yu to find the truth.


Four (4/5)


Three (3/5)


Two (2/5)


One (1/5)



Want to Submit a Review?



No comments:

Post a Comment