January 1, 2021

[2020] Breakout Stars: Female ed.

cynlynn's choices for actresses who have made a splash in 2020


Remarks


This is my personal list of my top five actresses. It's reserved for relatively new actresses or ones who have only earned their spotlight this year. I don't have a criteria or a checklist. If you disagree with my selections, feel free to list yours. 

No. 5
♥ Poisoned Love 

What a busy girl this year. She started the year with a supporting role in Fairyland Lovers. Despite it being short, she had a memorable romance. She’s still rather unknown; her projects didn’t make make a huge stir but she is a consistent actress that I have faith in. She brings in a very different type of cute whether it's her in a eunuch uniform in Oops! The King is in Love or as a voice dubber in Poisoned Love. Her type of cute is between quirky and weird. 

No. 4

Yu Shu Xin

♥ Find Yourself 

Incredibly bright. I get very confused when I see short clips of her 'real' personality. Anyways. Her popularity has skyrocketed after her variety appearance in Youth With You 2. She's currently in The9 idol girl group. She appeared on my radar since Find Yourself as the hilarious Cai Min Min and continued her successful cute hilarious role in I've Fallen For You as San Qi. I liked her so much I went back to check out her Youth (2018) drama. 

Upcoming Dramas: Moonlight (with Ding Yu Xi) and Cang Lan Jue (with Dylan Wang).

No. 3

Love in Between might be the better drama but Mr. Fox and Miss Rose is her representative work for me. Anyone could have played her role in LiB but no one could have played such a calm weirdo like she did in MFaMR. It's her sincerity to her roles that makes Zhang Ya Qin memorable. She exudes a calmness to all her characters no matter how cute and bubbly she's supposed to be. 

No. 2

Hu Yi Xuan


One drama, she's a cute witch (My Dear Destiny); another drama, she's a cute rat, pig, and dog (The Sleepless Princess). Hu Yi Xuan can create chemistry with any male lead she works with. She has these starry, starry eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if she reigns over romcoms in the upcoming years. Of all the actresses here, I think she has the biggest potential to make it to the top. 

Upcoming Dramas: Unforgettable Love (with Wei Zhe Ming).

No. X

Ni Hong Jie


So I lied about listing five actresses. Ni Hong Jie is a notable mention, a black-horse in this year's set of actors. Although she was spectacular in A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower in where she easily shifted between being suspicious and innocent, it was her variety appearance in Everybody Standby that brought her the spotlight she deserved. Her passion for acting is unrivaled. Her unending optimism is contagious. She didn't win Everybody Standby, but she won the heart of many, including me. She's the living proof that it's never too old to blossom. 

No. 1

Bu Guan Jin


As for my No. 1 it’s Bu Guan Jin. Her one role in Twenty Your Life On made me love her. I absolutely adore Xiao Guo and she's by far one of my top favourite female characters this year. She's loyal, optimistic, forthright, and intelligent. She's sly at time and she's always stingy. She doesn't betray her friends and she doesn't betray her principles. I cannot imagine anyone acting Xiao Guo better than Bu Guan Jin. It's in her little actions that make me believe in her role (e.g. her jumping up and down in vexation). Her petite stature might limit her future roles but there is no small role for her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment