November 2, 2020

Everybody Standby Season 2 | Part 1 Episode 1 Recap

Cyn-opsis: Forty actors (or celebrities) in a reality TV program to be judged by four renowned directors. Watch them be ripped apart on live TV. For Part One of the reality show, the directors will be regrading the actors to three levels: S, A, and B (highest to lowest). The directors have a pool of 8 S-Cards to give these actors if they have a Super performance. 
Host
Dong Cheng Peng (Da Peng)
Directors
Chen Kai Ge
Er Dong Sheng (Derek Yee)
Guo Jing Ming (Edward Guo)
Zhao Wei (Vicki Zhao)
Li Cheng Ru
Chinese Title
演员请就位第二季
Network: Tencent 
Year2020


Disclaimer: You're following my watching experience. I translate what I think is worth translating and it is certainly not everything

Part 1: List of Performances 
  1. Eternal Love vs. It Started with a Kiss [Ep1]
  2. Better Days
  3. My People, My Country
  4. The Bad Kids
  5. The Untamed [Ep2]
  6. Go Ahead vs. With You
  7. Dearest vs. Temptress Moon vs. Shoplifters
  8. Kim Ji Young, Born 1982
  9. The Stolen Years
  10. Tiny Times vs. Forever Enthralled [Ep3]
  11. Nothing but Thirty x3
  12. I am Somebody vs. Shou Yi Ren
  13. Winter Begonia 

1a. Eternal Love (Ten Miles of Peach Blossom) 

Actors/Actresses
Chen You Wei: Ye Hua 
Story of Yanxi Palace as Yong Qi 
Part of UNINE (Idol Group)
Wang Chu RanSu Su 
Serenade of Peaceful Joy as Consort Zhang (Zhang Bi Han)
 
Directors’ Critique 
The Short Critique: FAIL 

Li Cheng Ru: Awful. Girl is better, squeezed one tear out with the help of the lighting. 

Guo Jing Ming: Questioned Wang Chu Ran's motive behind "Don't touch me" line. Just because the script said for her to push him away but it wasn't at all clear if she pushed him away because she hated him or loved him. Don't just act out what's said in the script. Understand the motive. 

Er Dong Sheng: He was the harshest of them all. Er Dong Sheng ripped them to pieces
  • "While you two acted very hard, I watched it with much difficulty." 
  • To Wang Chu Ran. Do you know how many girls have your looks in China? The worst thing about you is you have no personality. There's too many of your type. So in terms of acting, you have to stand out. +1 at Er Dong Sheng's comments on female celebrities in general. There really is a lot of them. 
  • To Chen You Wei. You look okay, your height is okay. But you also don't stand out. Oof. You need to know your weakness. You have a lot. You don't know how to control your face. Your crying is awkward, I don't know if you ate something bad or not. You might need to find a new teacher to tell you that you have no acting talent. And then if you go back to your idol career, once you're older, no one will like you anymore. Dun dun dun. All the other directors are frozen. Even the actors not on stage are nervous. You cannot depend on your looks. You have to depend on your acting skills. Remember that. If you only depend on looks, your career is short-lived. You will be replaced.
  • Guo Jing Ming thought he was harsh, didn't know someone would be harsher than him
Chen Kai Ge: He made Chen You Wei speak about his understanding of the role and this is Chen You Wei's reply "She is my most loved person, how can I give my weakness to her?" This line touched all the directors. And me. Felt a lot of emotions. They compliment his understanding here and if he was able to put that emotion into the performance it would have a different feel. 

The Idol Hug
Da Peng suggested the two actors to hug each other after the ruthless criticisms. His fans in the audience went "Noooooo". Da Peng apologized for suggesting it. Chen You Wei bowed his head to apologize to Wang Chu Ran for his fans. Zhao Wei rolled her eyes. The one who had the biggest opinion was Er Dong Sheng. 

Er Dong Sheng: "I don't know how popular you (Chen You Wei) are. If you are an actor, you must be an actor. I'm using this chance to speak to the fans. Fans, you cannot block your idol's path to success." AGREE.

Da Peng clarifies that the hug was for the new actors to embrace that feeling they just had in their performance. But then he corrects himself that Chen You Wei is an idol. At this point, Chen You Wei is very emotional and denies being an idol, "I am not!" Audience is like, "Yes you are!" And so Chen You Wei clarifies where's he at with himself. 

Chen You Wei: I'm not looking down on "idols". I just don't think I've been an idol or an actor long enough to say I'm anything. Idol, actor or S is something people have given me. I hope that my life has ups and downs and I can put these experiences in my roles. Humble.

Other Highlights
  • Chen You Wei's hand shaking performance goes viral
  • Chen You Wei started as an actor but went to the reality show to be part of UNINE. This is information learnt from Guo Jing Ming. He sure is knowledgeable of UNINE.

1b. It Started With a Kiss

Actors/Actresses
Cai QiYuan Xiang Qin 
Chinese Paladin 5 as Xiao Man 
The viral spinning girl who spun for four hours straight
Yan Zi Dong (Kevin Yan): Jiang Zi Shu  
Nothing but Thirty as Zhong Xiao Yang
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Good with a caveat.  

Li Cheng Ru: Felt the emotion between you two especially after the separation from the hug; there was "stickiness". He's referring to the saliva, LOL. After they broke apart from their intense kiss, their was this thick saliva connecting their lips still.  
Zhao Wei: The water is so big, it looks like you two were showering
Er Dong Sheng: Can't see your skills from this scene but you two have your foundation. 
Guo Jing Ming: The idol content has it's ceiling. Can't see you potential at the moment. 
Chen Kai Ge: Your acting is within expectation. Did not see the love between you two. 


Result
Eternal Love vs. It Started with A Kiss

It Started with A Kiss wins unanimously
Cai Qi: B → A
Yan Zi Dong: A → A

Eternal Love
Chen You Wei: S → B*
Wang Chu Ran: A → B

Chen You Wei – an S?
*Er Dong Sheng considered giving S to Chen You Wei to allow him to choose a role that will suit him but he's afraid he'd choose wrong. Chen Kai Ge reminds him that S should be given to actors who have the skills. Chen You Wei speaks for himself. He thinks he'll grow to be better with the  criticisms more than with the S. 

2. Better Days

Actors/Actresses
Ren Min: Chen Nian 
Serenade of Peaceful Joy as Zhao Hui Rou 
Cry Me a Sad River (directed by Guo Jing Ming)
Shi Bo Yu (Patrick Shih): Liu Bei Shan
Someday or One Day as Mo Jun Jie
Taiwanese actor

Directors’ Critique 
Short: Good

Zhao Wei: I was moved. 
Guo Jing Ming: The male actor was bad. His lines were so bad that if I didn't read the script I have no idea what he's saying. Zhao Wei disagrees. She stands up for Shi Bo Yu. 
Er Dong Sheng: Good
Chen Kai Ge: Agrees with Guo Jing Ming about Shi Bo Yu's dialect.
  • To Shi Bo Yu. When Ren Ming said her last lines, you cried. I had hoped you stared at her without crying. You must use your eyes to tell her she must live on. But, I think your role wasn't easy, so thank you. 
Shi Bo Yu's Past
He was bullied as a kid. He had to pay protection fee. He would go home and be angry with his parents because he couldn't be angry at the peers who bullied him. He slowly grew out of it because he started playing basketball, grew taller, and talked more. 

Other Highlights
  • Da Peng asked if there was anything Ren Min wanted to say after her emotional performance. Ren Min takes the mic and doesn't know what to say. She looks up at Shi Bo Yu. He looks at her back. Looove~  Da Peng is like, "Okay I get it." We all get it :D.
  • Ren Min thanked Shi Bo Yu for being her partner. She bowed to him. Shi Bo Yu made sure he bowed lower than her. He has so much manners. And the CP feels~. He also thanks her for helping him. Without her, I don't think he would have done as well
Result
Ren Min: S → S (Chen Kai Ge & Guo Jing Ming)
Shi Bo Yu: S → S (Zhao Wei)

*Chen Kai Ge and Guo Jing Ming chose Ren Min and gave her S's. Zhao Wei looked around and felt that Shi Bo Yu deserved an S too and gave him one afterwards.
 

3. My People, My Country

Actors/Actresses
Wang Zhi: Fang Min 
Actress of 10+ years 
Zhang Da Da: Gao Yuan
TV Host who wants to become an actor
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: FAIL 

Er Dong Sheng
  • To Zhang Da Da. Speechless. The mask is not a barrier to acting because you have your eyes. Sorry, but when you got on the train, you looked like a thief. This is a personal attack LOL. There's one scene where it looks like you were thinking, "Are you done talking? If you're not done, I'm going to hit you."
  • To Wang Zhi. I apologize. I did not pay attention to you because Zhang Da Da was too distracting.
Chen Kai Ge: He thought Zhang Da Da tried his best to use his eyes to express his feelings. Me sees Er Dong Sheng scoff. Talks about the movie content and how touching it was. The beginning was rushed. He asks Zhang Da Da to act out a scene with the theme of "Don't leave me". After Zhang Da Da acts it out, Chen Kai Ge says, "I get it. Next director." Pft. I think Chen Kai Ge tried to give him a chance after Er Dong Sheng criticized him but Zhang Da Da couldnot deliver.
Guo Jing Ming: When you (Zhang Da Da) said "you recognized the wrong person" twice, there should he a level of emotional difference between both times. 

Zhang Da Da's Excuse and his S declaration:
Zhang Da Da said when he got his role, he lost hair, he was so stressed, he went to the hospital, etc. Er Dong Sheng doesn't let this excuse go, "Who doesn't have stress? According to the audience who buy tickets to the movies, it doesn't matter what happens to the actors behind the scene. If it's not good, it's not good. There's no excuses." 

Zhang Da Da: I have some words for the director (Er Dong Sheng). I know I didn't act well. But do you know how many people who love acting are like me (short, ugly) but it doesn't affect someone's passion for acting. My original goal was to be in a project with the director I like but now it's to receive your S. There is another reason. I don't think it's fair that S graded actors can choose first. They'll naturally get the better roles and the B level actors have less of a chance to choose a role to show their talent. If I have the chance to get S, I will give up the right to choose. 

Guo Jing Ming disagrees. This show is already very generous. S actors getting to choose is the reality just as popular actors getting the best roles in showbiz. +1

Result
Wang Zhi: A → A
Zhang Da Da: B → B 

Wang Zhi got three votes. Er Dong Sheng gave Zhang Da Da a pity/supporting vote. 


4. The Bad Kids

Actors/Actresses
Ma Su: Wang Yao
Winter Begonia as Yue Ling 
Actress of 15+ years; usually is the main actress
Ni Hong Jie: Zhou Chun Hong
A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower as Zhong Jie
Actress of 15+ years; usually is a supporting actress 
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Good

Chen Kai Ge:
  • To Ma Su. Are you acting out as a crazy mother or a logical mother? You tried to be crazy but you were more logical. If you were truly crazy, when Ni Hong Jie called your character's name, you wouldn't have turned to her so naturally. 
  • To Ni Hong Jie. I thought your eyes had nothing when Director Ma said it was her character that seduced him. If there was a time to cry, it was at that moment.
Although Chen Kai Ge nitpicked, their acting called upon that level of criticism. It was good for all the directors

Ni Hong Jie's Passion:
There's no competition for her roles because they're all villain roles. It doesn't matter, she'll act them to the best of her ability anyways. Everyday she fills herself up with optimism like it's her armour but each time it gets defeated and worn down. She can't seem to fight for the roles she wants. "My heart would hurt but that's okay too. It will pass." When she tells herself it's okay on stage, she's about to break down.  Er Dong Sheng suggested to pave another path for herself (Er Dong Sheng went from an actor to a director). 

Ni Hong Jie: I think my entire life I will only love one thing. I love acting. I will continue being an actress. I think I'll act until I'm 80 or something and then perhaps collapse on set. True love. True passion.

Other Highlights
Ni Hong Jie tells the directors of an F4 group among the actors. It's herself, Ma Su, Tang Yi Feng, and Wen Zheng Rong. They're the forty year olds grouped into B grade. Ma Su is technically one year short of forty though. 

Result
Ma Su: B → B
Ni Hong Jie: B → A

Ma Su got two votes from Er Dong Sheng and Chen Kai Ge. Ni Hong Jie got two vote from Zhou Wei and Guo Jing Ming. Audience chose Ni Hong Jie. I would too. There was a difference of four votes only. 

[Commentary]


[Chen You Wei] I think Er Dong Sheng did Chen You Wei a huge favour. If Er Dong Sheng did not take the spotlight for being that cruel on Chen You Wei, he would have gone down in history for having the worst performance and no one would pity him. He'd be slaughtered online. Er Dong Sheng slaughtering him live on TV saved him from the fury online. That harshness also brought out Chen You Wei's humble character. Because of how the situation evolved instead shaking my head whenever I see Chen You Wei, I'm nodding by head hoping he'd do well. 

[Directors] Er Dong Sheng is one my favourite directors here (if I had to choose one) . He was absolutely cruel, most likely overly cruel, but everything he said was the truth. In my honest opinion, he's attacking acting skills and acting potential. I think actors who want to be actors will benefit from his criticisms. I totally support his attack on idol fans who don't like their idols interacting with the opposite sex especially in dramas/movies. They're impeding their own idols' success. 

[CP feels] First three performances are the younger group with romance between them. Technically, the Eternal Love and It Started with a Kiss is naturally more romantic because of the content but the performance that had the most CP feels was Ren Min and Shi Bo Yu's Better Days. It wasn't romantic during the performance but afterwards when they just looked at each other it was so sweet. The amount of bond they built to complete their performance is real. I personally believe Shi Bo Yu has a tiny crush on Ren Min. 

P.S. It Started with A Kiss couple had that amazing kiss. I call them the Saliva Couple. 

[Ren Min] She definitely deserves the S but I question Zhao Wei's S to Shi Bo Yu. 

[The Bad Kids] Ni Hong Jie and Ma Su's is the only reenactment I liked that can rival the dramas I have watched which includes Eternal Love, ISWAK, Untamed, Go Ahead, With You, and Nothing But Thirty. I can't say anything about ones I have not watched. 

[Ni Hong Jie] Ni Hong Jie is the actress I want to succeed beyond this show. I don't care if she's eliminated but I want her to stay as long as she can and get that exposure because she deserves it. She's part of the "F4" (women over forty in the B group) but she's the only one who hasn't gotten her glow. The other three actresses had their glory once upon a time. She's the underdog I'm rooting for among all the actresses in this show. Her personality is also amazing. She's almost cuter than Ren Min. 

Future recaps for this: I don't know if I'll continue after Part One (Ep4 and beyond). I had notes written up for this a LONG time but I could only post it now because it took me that long to write it up. It's the type of recapping I hate to do cause I have to pause and play and pause and play. A lot of rewatching. It takes out all the fun for me so don't expect recaps beyond Ep4. I'm STILL editing Eps 2 and 3 and it's annoying me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment