May 4, 2022

[Reviews] My Sassy Princess

My Sassy Princess
A sassy princess seduces her austere guard. 
Chinese Title
祝卿好
To Wish (My) Wife Well 
NetworkiQIYI
Year2022
Episodes: 22



Cast

Zheng Ye ChengShen Yan
Yuan Bing YanLiu Ling
Mi Re (Merxat): Shen Yu
Zhang YueXu Shi Jin 
Guo Xiao Tian: Luo Fan
Yang Zhi WenLing Bi


Crew

(Updated as of May 2022)
Make a WishMy Love, Enlighten Me
DirectorZhu Shao Jie 
 Noble Aspirations I & II (2016)

ScriptwriterGuan Su

ScriptwriterShen Wan Ling

ScriptwriterYang Yu Xuan

ProducerShao Wen Yi
♠ 塵緣 Chen Yuan [AngelababyMa Tian YuXuan Lu]
♠ 墨白 Mo Bai [Zhang Xue YingBi Wen Jun]
♠ 獨一有二的她 My Special Girl [Song Yi RenZhang Yun Long]
♠ Make a Wish (2021)


Reviews


Five (5/5)


Four (4/5)


Reviewer: cynlynn
(Copied and pasted from Recaps&Review)
Hearts: ♥♥♥
I said I instantly fell in love with this and here’s my update: I love it all the way through! There’s no boring episode. It’s a romance that goes up and up and up, and ends on a high note.

Liu Ling is our bold princess who daringly flirts her way into the heart of our austere, expressionless guard. When she awakens his passion, their relationship reverses. Shen Yan becomes sensual with her (those whispers!), making her shy around him. There’s always something new and interesting and comical with the way they flirt.

I think it’s unique that our main characters aren’t entirely likable and I like how show was consistent with their personalities. Liu Ling is still a spoiled princess, having her way (e.g. flirting with an enemy). Shen Yan is still arrogant and cold: if she abandoned him, despite knowing she had no choice, he was determined to leave her. Now that’s stubborn. And well, like I said, show is consistent. We were prefaced on their characters. She’s supposedly the devil incarnate and he’s supposedly the ruler of the underworld. Quite the match, aren’t they? I wonder what their child will be like (;

The secondary couples have so little screen time and because of that, there’s a desire to know their story a bit more. The second pair are the wise, caring and loyal ones. The third pair are the cutie pies. 

The drama as a whole is like a C story with A+ chemistry and A+ acting. And the really good thing about the C story is that it doesn’t hinder the romance. As a romcom, with delivering romance as its prime goal, this is exemplary. 


Three (3/5)


Reviewer: FanFanX 
(See in comments under Recaps&Review)
Date: May 2022
Hearts: 
I like the series but I’m a bit disappointed with the last five eps. Not because it’s bad but because I feel like the story is too short?! I also want a lot more time with the 2nd couple. I’d seen Zheng Ye Cheng in Love O2O and thought he looked great in costume. Apparently, the world already knew this! So I had to watch this series when it came out.

The romance between Liu Ling (Princess Chang Le) and her Jiulin guard, Shen Yan, is sweet with some melodramatic moments. Shen Yan is quite dashing with his quiet ways and icy demeanor (nicknamed "Stern-Faced Yama") but when he turns up the heat, watch out! She wants to be a step or two ahead of him but he’s always at least 5 flying leaps ahead. (I’m impressed with Zheng Ye Cheng’s martial arts skills!) She may flirt with him but when he fires back, she’s quite abashed. I couldn’t wait to see where he’d take it every single time.

The couple I wanted to see more of: the seriously mischievous Shen Yu, Shen Yan's older brother and the straight-laced Lady-in-Waiting, Xu Shi Jin. They’re both meticulous and (publicly) reserved and they’re quite a pair. I feel like the mere handful of eps with their time together was just not enough. Also, the third couple, Luo Fan and Ling Bi are quite cute as hilarity ensues with a hairpin.

The girls, Liu Ling and Xu Shi Jin, also have such a great friendship. They’re there for each other through thick and thin - and they’ve been through a lot together, period. The two remain sworn sisters - they are a family unit. And with family, Xu and Shen elders are delightful along with Zhang Grandpa (Liu Ling’s maternal grandfather).

Where the series falters is the plot which involves wits, conspiracy theories and impending doom. For me, Liu Ling’s father’s great aspiration to rise in power, failed to be compelling, or sympathetic. Oh, and the cliff scenes are awfully funny.

The OST is quite lovely for this series, and one of my favorites is Day and Night 朝夕 | Qian Xi 茜西

If you’re looking for a great historical series with complex storylines, this isn’t it. Watch this for the sweet romance and great chemistry between Yuan Bing Yan and Zheng Ye Cheng, and Merxat and Zhang Yue.


Two (2/5)


One (1/5)



Want to Submit a Review?



No comments:

Post a Comment