May 19, 2015

We are in Love [我们相爱吧] Episode 5 (Xu Lu and Kimi)


Our “flustered couple” is pretty much comfortable with each other and this episode showers us with just that. 



Ruby Lin and Ren Zhong: Thank god Ren Zhong’s house looks like a normal house. I much prefer messy over a horde of pink. In this episode he (unintentionally) admits his fear of Ruby Lin. LOL. They also parody the kiss from A Gentleman’s Dignity. I still feel awkward as ever watching this again but they add their own flavour to it. Check in at 15:09 of their segment if you’re interested.


Liu Wen and Siwon: I'll be checking out of these two very soon. This episode tried to get Siwon to understand Liu Wen and although they've come to terms with each other, I'm still convinced that Siwon doesn't have a clue to what Liu Wen wants. Now, the sexist me will question: Does the guy always have to please the girl? No. But when the guy always make these comments about her not loving him, making her constantly apologizing for something she can't control (her inability to express herself properly), I can't help but be fed up with him. She's trying to be serious; he's trying to be fun; together, they're completely incompatible. 


♦ ♦ ♦



Xu Lu’s severely overworked lately. He finds out that Xu Lu only gets a little of sleep each night and the conversation turns really sulky there. In his interview, he tells us: “Recently, her stress has been building up so that’s why I brought her to the amusement park to let her relax.”


It works. She’s having loads of fun. She even throws a gigantic hug to a big tear-drop costumed thing, pushing aside Kimi, who’s totally not disappointed. During the archery game, Kimi helps Xu Lu with the shooting and even praises their teamwork, “Beautiful! 10 points!” In reality, it was completely off the mark. When Kimi does manage to shoot remotely close, the supporting Xu Lu exclaims: “Kimi so handsome!” Skinship is so naturally for these two that the show doesn’t even stress on how close they were for the archery game.

Later Xu Lu’s dragging the unwilling Kimi to the water park but Kimi complains playfully that his hair will get wet. And they hold hands so naturally.

(Photobombed by Healer's Kim Moon Shik)

Now, the highlight at the amusement park: The Roller Coaster. In his interview, he explains why he chose this particular ride: “The roller coaster can help relieve stress, which is why I suggested to try it out.”

Xu Lu doesn’t look excited about the ride but her first hurdle is the crowd.
Kimi: With them cheering for us, you have nothing to be afraid of.

In her interview: “When I face a crowd, I would get flustered, but with him holding on to me, I felt secure. It felt like as long as he was there, everything will be okay.” 

They’re looking for the end of the line as they continue walking around the crowd to find that the line doesn’t even start there. They end up having to walk back.
Xu Lu is once again (sarcastically) praising him: Beautiful!

Kimi asks the crowd where to line up and they direct him back to where they were originally. As they walk back, Xu Lu shrinks away from the crowd. Kimi should have switched sides with her.


Kimi speaks to her: Have you ever done the catwalk before?
Xu Lu immediately understands and they both suddenly transform into their poised expressions walking the walk.

[Time: 4:18]
In her interview: “I’m really happy that there were so many people that like us. I must be famous” – She laughs at her own egoism.

As she’s lining up, her fear escalates. The girl looks pale.

[Time: 4:50]
Xu Lu mumbles: I don’t want to ride this anymore. Let’s leave.
Shaking his head, Kimi’s caption reads: “It’s too late.”
It’s almost their turn as they take the stiars up. Kimi tells her to breathe and relax.

[Time: 5:18]
He’s excited that they can sit in the front row, while Xu Lu’s anxiety continues to worsen.
Kimi reasons to Xu Lu the benefits of the first row: If you vomit, the ones that suffer are those at the back.

In her interview: “I was really scared. I really didn’t want to ride it. But then I also wanted to ride it because I thought he wanted to ride it.”

[Time: 5:49]
Seeing her bleached face, Kimi drags her aside and speaks to her face to face: How about this, when you think you can ride it, then we’ll ride it. If you don’t think you can, then we won’t ride it. Is that okay?

In her interview: “When he told me that, my heart – flips her hand – was moved at that moment. I felt like I could (or want to) do this for him.”


Seated now, Kimi asks: Is your heart still racing?
Xu Lu, still pale as ever, actually feels her heartbeat: It was faster when I was waiting.”
Kimi automatically reaches for her hand and asks: Is it (her heart) okay right now?

As the contraption starts moving, Xu Lu makes a last complaint but it’s way too late. At least she’s got Kimi’s entire arm? As the cart reaches its climax, Kimi pulls her head to his shoulder. Xu Lu stays there, hanging onto her life.

[Time: 7:10]
Caption: “Constantly comforting”. His way of comforting is singing that “Mo Cha” song (i.e. Xu Lu’s favourite song, it’s actually called My Skating Shoes). LOL. I didn’t think they would replay this song so many times so I sort of ignored the translation of the lyrics. If you’re interested, here’s my little translation of the specific lyrics he uses:

“Friction, friction. On a shiny floor I do friction.”

I’m serious. Understand why his expression turns sarcastic whenever she jams to it? However, the fact that he knows to use her happy song to comfort her was rather sweet.   

During the ride, her interview intercedes: “I don’t recall anything (i.e. numb). I don’t know what he was doing. I just know that I was holding on to his arm. That arm to me was like a lifeline.”

In Kimi’s interview: “I was focused on her the whole time. Her eyes were closed the entire time, but I kept mine on hers.”


As the ride is nearing its end, Kimi holds her head and tells her: We’ve returned. We’ve really returned.
When they finally leave that contraption, Xu Lu cries: It’s too scary. I never want to ride a roller coaster ever again.


Kimi: It’s the last time. The last time – pulls her into a hug – The last time! Bye Bye (roller coaster)! It must be great to feel so manly here but honestly, poor Xu Lu. At least, she does seem calm with the hug now.

In her interview: “I didn’t notice he was holding onto my head the entire time but when I did, my heart felt warm (her voice sounds especially sweet when she says "warm") teary – I felt like I wasn’t alone with him next to me (I know this sentence is contextually pointless, but you should get the gist). I felt like I could rely on him. 

In his interview he vows: “I will never bring her to the roller coaster ever again.”


Her hair is all messed up now and Kimi is delighted to show her the mess with his phone; I think it’s his attempt at lightening up her mood. However, when he pulls out the camera, he finds out his hair isn’t faring much better. I like this picture; they look alike here. It’s just sometimes I wish she’d stop scrunching up her face.


[Time: 9:42]
She sings her Mo Cha song again. This girl. LOL. She even makes up a dance that Kimi follows dutifully. It’s not until they walk to the edge do I realize their friction-ing the glass floor that’s X meters high. Not the best idea.

Kimi: Do you know what the best thing to do up here is? Deep breathing exercises. Remember this whole excursion was to relieve Xu Lu of her stress.



In her interview: “At that moment, I felt tranquil. A lot of my negative moods were washed away. I was satisfied with this pleasant surprise he had for me. [Time: 11:06] My thoughts then were, ‘Ah, just let us be like this and not wake up.’ I really wanted time to stop then.”

[Time 11:28] 
Kimi looks at the map and points to their next event: spa. Xu Lu’s delighted. She even goes Fa la la la~

After doing a double take at the distance they need to walk to their next destination, Xu Lu immediately resorts to calling a taxi. There isn’t one. Instead, Kimi offers his back. Right, he’s “Mr. Tall Rich Handsome”, you know that horse from Episode 2.  Initially she refuses because she knows he’s tired too but he insists. He wins.


When Xu Lu gets on: “Oh my Lady Ga Ga.”

So, the spa they’re at specializes in fish pedicures. Kimi asks a bunch of random things that seemed to have missed the humor trigger on the female employee. At first he was chiding Xu Lu in front of the lady leaving Xu Lu speechless.


[Time: 12:20] 
Kimi asks sersiouly: If she’s hungry, and ate some fishes, how much would that cost?
And when they finally leave the poor lady alone, this is her caption: “They finally leave.” Yeah, go flirt somewhere else, lol.

[Time: 13:00]
When they part to dress in their swim wear, Xu Lu playfully grabs hold of him: Come! Follow me!
Kimi: You sure?
Xu Lu dares him: Yep!
Kimi: Okay. Let’s go.
Xu Lu is dumbfounded.
To her relief, Kimi immediately retreats and pats her back: I’m kidding. You be careful by yourself.
Xu Lu: Bye bye. Fa la la la~ Aw, she's completely recovered from this morning.  


Kimi’s Caption as he stares at her: “Lu Lu is seriously cute.”

He's done changing first and awaits for her arrival. When he spots her heading her way in, he decides to prank her. As stealth as ever he sneaks up behind her only to be frightened by her.


Kimi: Ai Yo Wei Yo! Just exactly who’s scaring who! Did you see me?
Xu Lu laughs: No.
Kimi: Then how’d you know?
Xu Lu interjects: “I just know that someone was approaching me from behind.”
Kimi, stop protecting your chest, please.


They both sink their feet in the spa and the fishes swarm in. I personally can’t tell who has more fishes gathering but from what I hear, the more fishes that gather, the dirtier your legs are, haha.

Xu Lu whines playfully: I don’t want to do this anymore.
Kimi expresses his pain by biting her shoulder.
After they’re done with the pedicure, Kimi, still wrapping himself tightly in his robe, walks around in the pool. I hope he’s not stepping on the fish.

Xu Lu: Why are you so girly? Even I’m not like that. 
Kimi: Do you often come to the spa with men?
Xu Lu: No. It’s my first time.
Kimi: You’re not flustered?
Xu Lu: Nope. Take off your robe. Take it off! Take it off!

In her interview she continues to complain how girly he was. Did she not get a premonition from his atrocious pink home?

[Time: 15:03]
Kimi responds by hugging himself even tighter.
Xu Lu: Just let me see a little bit.
Kimi: You first. Of course you want that.
Xu Lu quickly looks elsewhere and points to the sky: There’s no stars today! Have you noticed?
Kimi looks up: This is not important.
Xu Lu: It’s important!
Kimi: We’ll play rock paper scissors (to determine who’s stripping first), okay?
Xu Lu: Okay. Let’s use our feet. I did not know RPS can work that way.
Even Kimi doesn’t know: Use our feet?!

In his interview: “She’s just like me. Weird. Although we look normal, we actually aren’t sane.” LOL


How to play RPS with your foot:
Rock = curling up your toes
Papers = extending your toes
Scissors = curling your toes except your big toe

Xu Lu wins at her own game. Of course.

[Time: 15:55]
After losing, Kimi toughens up: No big deal.
Xu Lu: Exactly!


With his back facing her Kimi yells with confidence: You want me to strip, I’ll strip! Like Oh My God! Kimi’s got awesome CG abs!


Unable to see anything, Xu Lu decides to get a better view. She flips his robe and finds an astonishing tight swim trunk. I may not have done that but I might have been very tempted especially with his butt already sticking out from his robe so nicely. LOL. So he’s got a butt while she doesn’t? Life’s not fair sometimes.  


Kimi: Eh! Where you looking!
Caption on Xu Lu as she shakes in laughter: “Too embarrassing.”

In her interview: “It was too awkward. I was wondering what on earth he was wearing.”

Xu Lu hypnotizes herself: I didn’t see anything. I didn’t see anything.”
Sitting in the pool (but the fishes are still there, no?), Kimi ignores her chant and tells her it’s her turn now.
Kimi: Is it pink? Is it really pink?


Cue sexy music. Kimi shies away because he cannot bear to stare at her undressing (her robe) in front of him.

In his interview he tells us what he was yearning for: “Pink bikini.” He continues, “I want her to think of me whenever she thinks of pink and that she wears pink because of me.”

When Xu Lu gives her okay signal, he nods and readies his heart.

Xu Lu: See, pink! Hand blows her skirt.
Kimi: It really is pink. Ah, I can taste the disappointment, lol. It’s not bad…! It fits her image.
Kimi then picks at her lacy shirt: What is this thing here?

In Kimi’s interview: “My aunt has something like that. Really. Th-th-th-th-this clothing… Basically, my anticipations went from (up) here to (down) here.”

In Xu Lu’s interview: “I thought my outfit was already quite exposed. Ri…ght? – In her robotic voice, she asks the producers – You. Guys. Don’t. Think. So?

[Time: 17:18]
Kimi: Did you bring a hair tie?
Xu Lu: Yes.
He ties it for her because he doesn’t want her hair to get wet.
Kimi tells her: Please don’t mind how your hair will turn out.
Xu Lu: It needs to be beautiful.
Kimi: That doesn’t matter. It needs to do its job (which is to not get wet).
Xu Lu: Don’t tie it so that I look like an old lady.
Kimi’s hard at work: I won’t.
Xu Lu: Is it your first time tying a girl’s hair. [Time: 17:39]
Kimi slightly hesitates: Just...tied…
Xu Lu finishes it off for him: You tied a lot, right?
Kimi: No. Lies. It really is my first time. That’s why when you said you wanted it to be beautiful, I can’t guarantee that.
Xu Lu: Ehhh! At the way he tied her hair, not at exposing his lie.

In her interview: “Having my boyfriend doing my hair does feel different. Although he doesn’t know how, it’s his sincerity I appreciate.”

[Time: 18:12]
While they’re enjoying their spa, Kimi uploads pictures to Weibo.

In his interview he explains why's he uploading the pictures: "I want to give her memories to remind her of the times Huang Huang spent with her first love, Zhang Zhang.” He has such a way with words but honestly, he probably just wants to upload them for the sake of uploading them. I mean, he is a celebrity.

Kimi exclaims at the overwhelming response they’re getting online.


[Time: 19:04]
Kimi reads out a comment: So lovely, get pregnant quickly!
Kimi plays dumb: What does that mean?
Xu Lu plans on ignoring him: Scroll down more.
Kimi: I don’t want to. [A second later] Okay I will. We’ll read the next one. Just one look and I can tell Xu Lu’s got more dead skin; so many fishes.” LOL.  Xu Lu’s obviously ecstatic about these two comments.
Xu Lu defends herself: It’s because the fishes love me.
Kimi changes the topic: Let’s go to another spa.

He reveals n his interview: “In actuality, I wanted to divert her away because I had a surprise planned for her.”

In the end, she gets water for him while he decorates the spa area.

In his interview again: “She might think it’s romantic. I want her give her these beautiful memories.”


[Time: 20:13]
In the process of decorating, his (girly) robe catches on fire, not once but twice. He finally decides to expose himself completely. But man is that short. And tight.


He’s not quite done with the preparations when Xu Lu’s heading her way back. Doing whatever last minute work he can, upon her arrival he throws away the stick and beams a-totally-nothing-happened-smile in her direction.  


In Xu Lu's interview: “Him bringing me here was already a pleasant surprise, I didn’t think he would do another event for me completed with flower petals and candles. All the romantic elements were there.”

Kimi knows he’s hit the jackpot. Xu Lu is seriously touched. Her eyes are all sparkly.
Kimi: Do you like it?
She can’t answer.
Kimi: Which one do you like?
She still can’t speak.
Kimii: Are you a little dumbfounded?
Xu Lu can answer that one: Yes.


He brings her a stick to retrieve any boat she thinks has a “guest” in it. Knowingly, she picks the pink one.

Kimi: How’d you know it was the pink one? It’s because it’s pink right? Oh gee. Darn! Was I the only one who didn't know?
Xu Lu: Yeah. She’s still dazed.
Kimi: Then bring it over.
Xu Lu retrieves it but asks bashfully: Do I break it apart? It’s already broken.
Kimi freaks out a little and checks it out. There’s a hole but everything’s fine. From within, he pulls out a ring. He tells her to hold the ring first as he digs around some more until he's finally found the second ring.


Xu Lu’s Caption: So romantic.

Holding onto the second ring, Kimi says: This is for you. The one in your hand is for me. You’re the cat and I’m the fish. When he puts the ring on her, he asks if the middle finger was okay. Now that they have both given and received rings, I pronounce that they are husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride!


Kimi delivers a semi-wet kiss with his fish ring.

Kimi: Do you like it?
Xu Lu nods like a girl in love. Even Kimi can’t handle the tension as he melts in his sigh.
Xu Lu tells him sweetly: Thank you. Along with those sparkly eyes.
Kimi laughs like a dork again, lol. [Time: 24:49]

In his interview: “Whenever she’s touched, she’ll constantly repeat ‘Thank you”. I know that in her heart each thank you may have held a different meaning.”

In her interview: “Capricorns don’t really know how to express themselves. They would keep a lot of their thoughts hidden. Although my facial expression didn’t show it when I kept thanking him, my heart was all over the place." While I have no idea what my sign says about me.


He pulls her in for hug. She whispers one more sweet ‘Thank you.’ (He goes “Yah” because I think he loses his balance).

In her interview: “He helped me feel relaxed today. The care he gave me really moved me. She sounds really touched here. Is Xu Lu done for? Lol.

With their heads against one another, Xu Lu pours her compliments to him: Zhang Zhang is amazing.
Kimi: Another one.
Xu Lu: Zhang Zhang is China’s top good guy.
Kimi smiles at her: Another one
Xu Lu closes her eyes to think: Zhang Zhang…
Kimi: Don’t say it. And don’t use a hug. Except using those two, express your gratitude.

Xu Lu’s voice overlays the scene: “When a guy does something for you like this, you should return some of that. I can only think of this way to express my feelings.”


She kisses his forehead.


He wants to smile bigger but water’s coming in, lol.


Oh that giddy little boy just naturally fell into Xu Lu’s embrace. Sly.

Kim’s voice overlays: Just like the waves rippling in the ocean of love, Ah~ it feels just like that.

♦ ♦ ♦

Preview:

She’s looking for a present for him but he angrily tells her to put her cell phone down (probably because she’s staring at it too much). Unhappy at that, she tells him it’s hard for her to accept his domineering attitude. Both of them are serious this time. Kimi’s the first one to give in though and he does this manly thing: grab her into a hug. However, that doesn’t seem to suffice as she pulls herself away expressing her disappointment.

Go girl, tell him that glossing over an issue with romantics doesn’t solve anything. But why are we creating drama here? Arg.


♦ ♦ ♦

Comments:

This week their segment felt over the top but I get that it would be hard to top last week’s episode. As sweet as the forehead kiss was I found the hugs they shared last episode to be much sweeter. To be honest, I felt that he kind of forced the kiss out of her. Nonetheless, seeing Xu Lu’s expression this week make me wonder whether she actually fell in love or bridging that boundary. A part of me is definitely squealing but another part of me is worrying for her because I can’t pinpoint Kimi’s intentions. I know he enjoys being romantic (he’s like that on other shows too) but how much of it is for the camera and how much of it is for Xu Lu?


Here’s a slightly better picture of their rings.


----------------------

4 comments:

  1. I just finished watching all the episodes I've missed and reading you summaries and I can't believe how well Kimi and Xulu are getting along.

    They're the cutest when they're playing around, but I agree with you, I don't like how Kimi can be very possessive at times. Also, I thought I loved pink but Kimi's obsession with the color is out of this world lol. And his trunks, my God I almost spilled my tea when I saw what he was wearing underneath his robe. I don't know who's worse him or Jaerim from the other WGM. XD

    Xu Lu is such an oddball too. I can't at her making Kimi play rock paper and scissors with his foot lol. She's very random and cute but I like her strong persona too. It's good to see her standing up to Kimi rather than giving in to him all the time.

    I can't wait to see all the impending drama from next episode and as always thank you so much for your translations! They made my night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He takes the love of pink to a whole new level...and then there's his taste in clothes... I completely forgot about Jaerim's pants but I'd think I'd prefer his over the trunks. Do romantic (corny) guys have weird fetish for pants? LOL.

      I feel like Xu Lu's completely genuine on the show (that or her acting is wizardly). Her expressions when she was moved was so real and her 4D-ness is definitely real. I need to put that game of rock paper scissors to good use some day, haha.

      Delete
  2. Lol kimi did put some weird underwear. Didn't suit his age ahah. The to of them were getting so good at his house, I regret Gui Gui appearance.

    Im afraid to not like the next ep..

    Also, Im a bit curious about Ruby Lin and Ren Zhong (that guy totally got me in the first ep minutes of their first ep with his laugh) cause if you said sshe really seemed disapointed with him at first, I wonder if she starts to like him after (come on this guy seems so sweet), this kind of developement I like lol
    Any information from what you've watched so far ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed with the next episode! And Xu Lu does sort of take revenge on Kimi for making her feel jealous of Gui Gui. ^^

      Ahh, so you like this hate to love development? xD To be honest Ren Zhong would be the type of guy I would want to meet in real life (Sorry Kimi). It was him happily accepting the apron that got me. LOL. That’s one thing I completely agree with Ruby: a guy needs to know how to cook.

      He and Ruby were like the complete opposite from the very beginning: Ruby was rough and he was gentle. Ruby gives off the feeling that she doesn’t fake anything; if she’s mad, she’ll show it. So now that she’s genuinely warming up to Ren Zhong, it’s a great sign. I think it was him serenading her that got her.

      I believe as long as Ren Zhong stays as considerate as he is now and stays away from making her do any physical activity (e.g. hiking and kite flying) their development should be great. She is laughing (genuinely) a lot more now.

      Delete