May 25, 2015

We are in Love [我们相爱吧] Episode 6 (Xu Lu and Kimi)


Okay, so the preview fooled me last week. I got teary in this episode but I should clarify that I’ve got one of the world’s most sensitive pair of lacrimal ducts. Ever. 




Ruby and Ren Zhong: This is the romantic back hug that Murphy’s Law of Love abuses. On the other hand, Ruby Lin thought nothing of it. Lol. His friends come over and one them presents them a couple bracelet that are linked to one another; Ruby calls it a cuff. Is Ruby allergic to romance or something? I like how the bracelet is designed such that the girl’s right hand is ”cuffed”, since most of us are right-handed, the guy will naturally have to feed her and such. 

Seeing Ren Zhong's friends and how they interact, I'm liking him more. He's easy to tease amongst his friends and I think it's a good trait, lol. But, why did he stutter at that question of whether he cheated before or not.... Hm. 


Liu Wen and Siwon: Love is a dance is a great metaphor for these two. Two cannot dance at different tempos and that's exactly their problem. There's less missteps between the two in this episode instead their segment came out sort of boring. I just like to point out that unlike the other two couples, Liu Wen`s the one doing most of the events for Siwon.


♦ ♦ ♦



Last week I translated a voice overlay near the end where Xu Lu says “When a man does something for you like this, you should repay him with something….” The way they edited that segment made me think she repaid him with the forehead kiss but really she repays him with “a big surprise” which you’ll see later. (:


Kimi’s waiting patiently for a late Xu Lu. When she arrives Kimi’s too into his music that he’s oblivious to her sitting right in front of him. When he does notice her, he’s shocked but clearly happy.

Kimi lightly complains: You’re late. What were you doing?
Xu Lu’s apology is kept short without any explanation.
The server comes in with the menu but Xu Lu nonchalantly tells Kimi: I’m not hungry.
Kimi pronounces each word here: You’re. Not. Hungry?

In his interview: “Today felt off. Something must have happened.”

Kimi: Then you’re just watching me eat? Did you get a stomach ache?
Xu Lu: No. I just don’t want to eat.
Kimi wonders what’s wrong.
Xu Lu: Just orders yours. Hurry...!
Kimi: How about something to drink?
Xu Lu: I don’t want to drink anything. Just cut the guy some slack….!

Silence surrounds them for a short while as Kimi looks down at the menu and Xu Lu stares at her phone. Kimi orders icecream for them both. He goes to touch her forehead to see if she’s sick. Obviously he wanted to use some physical interaction to close that emotional wall she’s built up but it ain’t working.

Xu Lu tells him briskly: I’m completely fine.
Kimi’s still trying to assess the situation: You don’t have anything to say to me right now?
Xu Lu looks at him eagerly for a second: There is…. There is.
Kimi: So there’s something on your mind?
Xu Lu doesn’t answer immediately, instead she reaches for her phone (which is faced down). However Kimi gets to her phone first. He questions her: You’ve been playing on your phone this whole time. Just what is it?

In his interview: Cellphones are problematic. Playing with your phone in front of the other person is disrespectful.

Xu Lu explains the need for her cellphone: It’s because I have other business going on. I can’t help it.
Kimi: Work?
Xu Lu: Yeah.
Kimi: Are you sure it’s for work?
Xu Lu nods again: Yes.

Kimi slides the phone back to her. Something in his expression spells “unconvinced.”  

Kimi sips his drink and with a cool expression he asks as nonchalantly as he can: Where’s your ring?
Xu Lu: It’s too big. Doesn’t suit me. Oh you’re going too far, Xu Lu. Too far.

Doesn’t seem like Kimi had a great response to that comment as the show skips to him suggesting plans for tonight. Kimi tells her: I can bring you to watch a movie tonight or a performance… And then… – He snatches the phone from her hands – Are you listening?

Animated fire surrounds Kimi: You’re not speaking properly to me today.
Xu Lu urges him to continue and that she’ll listen. However she insists that she needs the phone because that way she’ll feel more secure.
Kimi counter attacks: Me being by your side doesn’t make you feel secure?

He makes her choose between the phone and himself. She can’t choose. Wow that must hurt a guy’s anyone’s pride. He even stops the server from serving them because this conversation allows for no interruption.

Xu Lu warily bargains: Can’t I have both?
I see Kimi’s chickening out a little: If you don’t answer, I’ll take it as you chose me and your phone will be in my possession (for now). Maybe it’s not chickening out but rather the smarter way to go about it. Since remaining silent is so much easier, making the default answer as him over the phone has a higher probability of happening than her actually saying she’ll choose the phone over him. Get it? Or was I too confusing, lol. 
Xu Lu protests immediately: Wait, but I need my phone though.
Server: Awkwaaaard.

Time’s up and Xu Lu hasn’t even given an answer. Although the default answer is him over the phone, it sure doesn’t seem like it.

Kimi gets up: Alright, I understand.


He retrieves the tray from the server and serves himself. In complete silence. He then picks up the tray and is right about to send it flying but retreats.

Meanwhile Xu Lu remains stubborn on her opinion about having both: Why must I choose one? I really don’t understand.

Kimi sticks to his calm composure: My friend told me once how to determine whether a girl is cheating on you. I just need to see whether she places her phone facing up or down. I presume facing down means she’s hiding something. Even if you don’t mean it, can’t you at least lie to me that I’m more important than your cellphone? A wee part of my heart is hurting for him.
Xu Lu answers him with zero ounce of sincerity: You’re more important. OUCH.
Kimi: Let’s just eat.
Xu Lu: I don’t want to eat this. For once Xu Lu doesn’t devour the food in front of her …......


Their body language mirrors each other in how off-putting the situation has unfolded; crossing their legs and leaning as far from each other as possible.

Kimi: You don’t want to eat this?
Xu Lu: Can’t you buy something else for me?
Kimi: Sure. I’ll go buy it right now. I think he needs a breather from her. What do you want?
Xu Lu: Whatever.

Kimi laughs uncomfortably. He sits back down, probably running out of energy to deal with her obnoxious temperament.  

Xu Lu: If you understand me, you should know what I want to eat. If you don’t know then you obviously don’t know me enough. LOL. I know it’s not funny but this line got me. It’s not that I don’t why girls can be so annoying to guys but this makes it flat out obvious.

Kimi is most definitely gobsmacked on the inside at the new and deimproved Xu Lu. However, he’s determined to hang in there. After some more contemplation, he final gets up and goes to buy what he thinks she’ll want.

After the coast is clear, Xu Lu makes a call to some man, You You. We travel back in time to find her calling this same guy. Turns out, he’s Kimi’s bandmate.


On the phone with You You, Xu Lu says: I know you’re familiar with Kimi. I’m this girl he’s recently come to know of.  So roundabout, lol.

The guy on the other end completely understands what that means. She asks them to participate in her surprise event for Kimi and that’s all we know for now.

Back to the present, Xu Lu is updating You You on the current situation: I’m in a fight with him (Kimi). He must be furious with me right now. YA THINK. I also made him buy me food.  

If you’re curious to know what he buys its tomato fried eggs (which I thought that was his favourite) and some duck.

Meanwhile, Xu Lu’s ordering some expensive wine….lol.


Knowing she’s alone, Xu Lu happily sings her apology to an invisible Kimi: ♪ I really didn’t have the courage to confess that I lied to you. I just want to give you this biiig surprise. Yo! Yo! ♪

While she’s enjoying her time, Kimi’s dashing back to serve his Queen.
However Xu Lu continues to trek dangerous territories: Honestly, I’m not that hungry. 
Kimi: What’d you say?
Xu Lu repeats: I’m not that hungry.
Kimi: No appetite? 
Xu Lu: I feel like you treat me too well. Do you feel that our relationship is a little…
Kimi pretends to distract himself with the food: How is it? Tell me.
Xu Lu: It’s just that you would plan a lot of different surprise events for me but it’s just “that” (I’m lacking the right words for this but she makes it sound like the surprise events mean nothing much to her).
Kimi: So you don’t like these surprise events?
Xu Lu: I don’t like men giving me –
Kimi: It’s too direct?
Xu Lu denies that being the problem: It’s more like it’s my first time dating and it’s always you who’s giving. However –

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Xu Lu continues: I believe there’s an imbalance in our relationship. That I can agree with but since I’m a girl I’m quite fine with Kimi being on the giving end. LOL. Sorry for the sexist in me.

In Kimi’s interview: “Because her mood is at that point where she’s venting (the word he uses is more like “blabbering”) all her feelings, men must not reason with women at this time." Still the romantic expert.

Our lifeless Kimi completely gives him (albeit grudgingly): Since there’s no hope in you adjusting to me, I’ll adjust to you. That’s fine.

Xu Lu doesn’t submit to that conclusion: I just want you to be able to express your temperament towards me and not always give in to me. Xu Lu’s begging him to get mad at her, isn’t she? Lol. Which is why I think there’s this imbalance in our relationship. When I want to do something, you’ll always…Ba baam!

Her incomplete sentence drifts to silence as she stares unenthusiastically at Kimi gobbling down the food he bought for her. Maybe it’s a good thing he bought his favourite food. I didn't notice before but he just bought takeout food to eat in another restaurant...


Xu Lu got what she wanted: his anger. She takes this opportunity to walk out on him but Kimi’s quick to grab her back. And reveals her bra strap but fixes it back, lol.


Xu Lu: I just don’t want to eat.
Kimi: But you can’t just leave.
Xu Lu doesn’t respond and just acts like she’s about to cry.

In her interview: “If I were him, I would lash out at myself. I can’t take girls that get angry for no reason. I really wanted to confess that it was all fake.”


Seeing Xu Lu fan her (nonexistent) tears, Kimi’s got nowhere to vex his anger and calls for the bill instead. But man that bill was expensive because of that wine. LOL. AHAHA. Kimi’s expression makes me laugh. I think its cause it’s my second time watching this I find the overall situation much funnier than the first time around. He’s got zero clue as to why ice-cream can cost that much. The server clarifies the bill and Kimi, speechless as ever, picks up the wine to examine the ridiculous thing.


His empty laughter is hilarious for me to watch right now.
Notice Xu Lu doesn’t dare to face him in this entire situation because she’s laughing too.  

Xu Lu’s interview: “When I heard the cost I was thinking ‘It can’t cost that much.’ I didn’t even have a sip… If I knew I should have just took it home with me. I really regret it.” 

On the other hand, Kimi does take a sip – a whole gulp-worthy of it. LOL. Wine never tasted any better.
Kimi asks the server: This gulp costs probably costs 50 bucks (their money), doesn’t it?
Server: Yes. Around that price. Haha.

Kimi puts down the wine with a clang and he takes her bag automatically. However Xu Lu insists on carrying her own bag. 


Kimi doesn’t listen, instead he takes this opportunity to grab her free hand which Xu Lu retreats immediately. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch! Speechless, he’s left with no choice but to return her bag.
Kimi’s got one more trick up his sleeve: The Pull-Her-In-Hug. And I am amazed that the same hug can be left so tasteless in a different context. It looks so forceful this time especially with the lack of music, replays, and angles. One cannot underestimate the power of editing. Kimi-yah~~~ >.<


Xu Lu’s caught laughing on camera but Kimi’s unaware of that (but wouldn’t the guy feel her laughing against his shoulder?). He hugs her and sings warily that this is all a farce but she retains control over her expression and refuses that claim. She even pushes him away, wiping that invisible tear once again, topped with that cold shrug. I am officially impressed with Xu Lu’s acting. I cannot take this girl lightly.


Still, Kimi insists on walking her out. While Xu Lu continues to refuse all his attempts.


Kimi hangs on to his cheery smile and tells her: I’ll send you off with my eyes then.
She leaves without a word. 
Kimi does his own dialogue: You sure (you don’t want me to walk you)? Okay. Bye. Take care! (And jokes) Remember to write me a letter.

In his interview: “I was shocked. Possibly angry. I didn’t know why she was angry. Makes me wonder whether getting him angry was really necessary…


We find out that Xu Lu’s big surprise was to organize a concert for Kimi. Wow. She knows that Kimi wanted to have a concert with his (ex-)bandmates last year but it got cancelled. What she wants to do now is help him realize that dream. Even his bandmates are awed. One of them expresses their surprise “You’re opening a concert for him?” That’s no easy feat.

Xu Lu’s voice overlays the scene of the concert preparations: He told me once that his dream was to open a concert with his bandmates.

In her interview: “I feel that in a relationship a lot of things need to be mutual. When someone treats you that well and you’ve returned nothing to him, then the situation becomes ‘morbid’ (is the word she uses; I’d take it as the relationship being completely off balanced). When it comes to small details, I may not be as attentive to them or I don’t know how to take care of guys. There may be a lot of things I should have done but I didn’t do. But I still want to put in my best efforts to help him achieve his dream.”


It’s time for the big reversal. 

Xu Lu calls him. Kimi sounds monotone on the other end but Xu Lu’s puts her utmost abilities intro sweetening her voice: Hello Zhang Zhang! What are you doing?
Kimi: I was thinking about what happened today.
Xu Lu: To make it up to you, I have two concert tickets. Can you come with me to watch it?
Kimi: I…. – Sileeeeeeeeeeence – Send me the address and I’ll go pick you up.

And they end the call. First part of operation: check.


I’ve always doubted Kimi’s fashion sense since I’ve seen him on a particular episode of Happy Camp (another C variety show) but I never had a problem with Xu Lu’s until today. At least they match? Together, they give me a feeling like Barney got lost in a jungle.

When they’re seated, Xu Lu tries to make small talk: It looks like we reserved the concert.
Kimi has every right to stay silent.

It’s night time and the concert is starting anytime now.

In her interview: "I’m really nervous. I didn't know how he’ll react so sitting there I was quite uneasy. Aside from being nervous, I was rather excited. It feels I can finally clear all those lies and be relieved."


With the countdown, the concert is finally (finally!) beginning: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ZERO! 
Xu Lu’s on the screen! Loving Kimi’s reaction.


The on-screen Xu Lu greets the audience: Hi everyone, I’m Xu Lu. Today I just want to give my “him” a surprise. He’s done a lot for me and I feel like I didn’t do as much for him which is why I want to help him achieve one of his dreams. He’s a singer. His biggest dream is to be able to perform on stage with his band. I really want to grant him this wish, so I’m using today’s opportunity to hope that he and his bandmates can be reunited on this stage performing their rock songs. This “him” is Kimi Qiao Ren Liang Zhang Zhang. His name got so long.


At a loss of words, he stares happily at her but I don’t think she can return the look for too long, lol. Just glue your eyes on the screen, girl. Just glue them there.

In the video clip, she also interviews his bandmates. One of them says “You’re so blessed.”
Xu Lu is seriously sweet. I want to see Kimi’s tears!


Xu Lu has one more message for Kimi before ending the video clip: With the introductions done, I hope you like this surprise. – Kimi goes to headlock/hug Xu Lu (he loves it) – I hope I can help you achieve you dream. And…add oil (i.e. fighting)!

His bandmates call for him on the stage.
Kimi, you have every right to be stunned to silence.


Although he gets called up to stage he doesn’t react immediately, he just stares at her with that big ol’ smile. She pulls him up but he doesn’t leave without a tight embrace. Does he kiss her hair?


Aww. Xu Lu dabs at her tears again. This time, it should be real.

In her interview: “When I want to give someone a surprise, I want to make him angry first (WHY) to the point that I feel great and then give him a grand reversal because the lower you go, the higher you go. I want him to cry. But I didn’t think I would cry. And he didn’t have that big of a reaction but it was enough.

Back to her interview: “I really wanted to cry. I never did something for someone like this so when I succeeded I was rather – really thrilled. I even thought I was more excited than he was. I feel like I did such an amazing and beautiful thing. She did. (: (‘:


I seriously like it when he sings. He’s got great stage presence. My face cannot contain my smile.
And his mic is pink too!


Xu Lu's voice overlays: I feel like everyone’s watching him. His fans may not be present, there may be people here that don’t know him but at that moment, he felt like a superstar. (Just to clarify, the captions seem to be wrong… it says that “there are his fans present and there are people that know him” but that’s not what she says and the sentence wouldn’t make sense anyways if it followed the caption)

Finally we hear Kimi’s reaction in his interview: “Roller coaster. When the countdown was over and then I saw her video clip and then I was called up to stage, my mind was blank to the point that I completely forgot this afternoon’s shock. Although I was lied to, I felt great. Really happy.”

Xu Lu heads off backstage. The surprises aren’t over yet. It’s barely over.

On stage, his bandmate asks him: Don’t you think you should sing a special song to someone today?

Kimi finally greets the audience: Today, I am able to stand on this stage because of my girlfriend Huang Huang (yeah, I messed up the pin yin before, sorry guys >.<.; it’s Huang Huang and not Fang Fang, lol), Xu Lu. I don’t know where she is right now. Please don’t look too hard. She’s the mastermind and these (the bandmates) are the accomplices. They worked together to trick me up onto this stage.

His bandmates pick the song he should sing to Xu Lu to relay is gratitude; it’s his own song: "Together With You".


He starts to sing it but surprise, surprise, Xu Lu sings his next phrase. Oh man. Happy tears are brimming my eyes. Xu Lu doesn’t have the sweetest voice but the effort she puts in is so sincere that I can’t help fangirling her right now.  

Kimi’s interview: “Wave after wave, the surprises just keeps hitting me.”


The song becomes a duet. My favourite is when they sing together (with Kimi leading) this line: “I just want to be together with you forever" (at 48:45 in the full segment). ♪

Xu Lu’s interview: “I know I sang terribly. Really awful. Absolutely awful.  But I wanted to complete this (sing it to the end). I wanted him to see my sincerity.”

Kimi’s interview: “That night, I felt like no matter who I saw I would just want to greet them. Every guy would be my brother; every girl would be my sister. This happiness, there are no words I can describe it with.”


Another embrace. In front of all those people. These two. 

Xu Lu’s interview: “In the past, I hugged him because I was touched but this time it’s my first time feeling like I really really wanted to hug him.  The ‘him’ then was really handsome. Not other times? Lol. I felt like he was glowing.”

Kimi’s interview describes the scene: "In front of so many people, declaring that she’s my girlfriend and then hugging her like this for everyone to see."

In her interview: “There are words that sometimes I can’t express and so a hug can help me represent that feeling.”

Kimi formally introduces Xu Lu to the audience: This is the mastermind. My girlfriend. (Asking his bandmates now) This time, it’s my turn right? I promised her before that as long as I’m on the stage I would sing her a song (He asks his bandmates this because the previous song wasn’t requested by him).


He sings “Little Apple” by the Chopstick Brothers. It’s the song that changed everything at the karaoke in Episode 4. This song was a huge hit in 2014, something like PSY’s Gangnam Style (I believe). Here have a listen to it yourself:


This song has been in my head for too way long now. 


I hate to submit to the fact that Kimi might just be an expert at romance. How’d he succeed in making such an unromantic song, so romantic? And he used her surprise event to surprise her back. That’s incredible. (Even the audience members can’t help but be romantic, lol)

In her interview: “I never thought he would sing me this song. Suddenly ‘Little Apple’ became a very significant song. I wanted to cry again.” I would have bawled.


After the song’s over Kimi tells her intimately on the stage in front of hundreds: I’m really moved. – Looking directly at her – Today, all your tricks were successive, you know that?

In his interview he elaborates: "To fall into the pits of misery and then do a complete reversal."


Stop pampering us with hugs!

He continues his interview: “I’m her first boyfriend. I’ve done a lot of things which have become her firsts but she’s not my first love. So, the things she’s done for me has come to let me know these feelings of “firsts”.  For example, today, the feelings I had might just be more intense than hers.”


♦ ♦ ♦



The Preview for next week has them sneaking back to university only to get caught. Is the punishment kissing the professor and dancing in front of the entire class?


♦ ♦ ♦ 



Comment:

This was such a large scale event! It completely wipes out Kimi’s events last week. Lol. I think this girl was way too modest about her lack of attention to details. I mean, she got the guy a pink mic. She also knew exactly how to irk him with that answer “Whatever” when he asked her what she wanted to eat because (if you guys remember) he purposely had a tactic for that annoying answer back in Episode 2.

Xu Lu was beautiful to watch today. First with her acting, then with her sincerity, then with her actual tears in the end. She was moved by her own event. Well, I would be too. On the other hand, how can a guy profess that much love to pinkness and not let out a single tear? Where’s the logic? 

And if you didn’t like Xu Lu here in the beginning, take it as her revenge for him inviting Gui Gui a few episodes ago. Haha. If that helps. Still I don’t think it was necessary. Can’t I just be happy the entire day?

This episode really was perfect (maybe except the beginning but I enjoyed it much more the second time around). I love how this couple started off with a concert that he coordinated for her, and now, the first event she plans for him is to return him a concert. 

One last comment or actually it's a question: what happened to that preview where she goes over to his place to wash his feet? 


-------------------