May 5, 2024

We Shall Meet Again | Review

We Shall Meet Again
A step-brother falls in love with his  murder-suspect-step-sister. 
Notable Actors/Actresses
Jing Yan JunShi Yao
Shi Hang LuLu Miao
Director
Xiu Xiao Nan
Chinese Title
那个重逢的夜晚
That Night (We) Reunited
Year2024
Episodes: 12 (20mins/ep)




Review


The Bait: A “forbidden” love story between step-siblings. 
They're not biologically related! She attracted him because she was more cruel than him in ruining the parents' wedding. What he could only think about, she actually committed it.

The Switch: There's a murder. This is actually a "suspense", the slow cooked (= Chinese) kind, very nutritious with morals. The FL is the suspect and the talk of this small town. 

Even though it was a bait and switch, my curiosity was piqued. I liked that even though a murder had happened, the beauty of youth was still at the forefront and the backdrop was the clear, blue sea. 

Know that your intuition from Ep1 is correct. (Ep6 Spoiler) 
That is, if you think the FL is dead, you're correct. I had hoped her appearance in Ep3 was a sign that it all works out in the end. Then you slowly realize in that episode, Lu Miao doesn't interact with anyone but Shi Yao. She's his imagination. My heart dropped. I was so sad this wasn't going to be a happy ending, but at this point I couldn't look away from this drama.
 
The second murderer. (Ending Spoiler) 
We can say that Lu Miao was killed by the "second murderer". She was slowly being killed by the rumours, the damning proclamations that she killed the victim without any proof even when the police officers cleared her name. No one cared about clarifying the rumours because it didn't affect them.

Recommended? It's different in a good way, and surprisingly decent. Ending may not be the desired one, which makes this really hard to recommend because I would turn away too. Still, storytelling and pacing was applaudable (except sitting around a table (or anything really) for the main confrontation isn't my favourite). The depth of how much the truth mattered to the FL that was dismissed by everyone even the ML hit cold, and hard. 

Cast&Crew
  • Jing Yan Jun (ML) is Lv Liang from I Am Nobody
  • Shi Hang Lu (FL) is so new, but somehow acted as a teacher in Growing Together (2024)... She really reminds me of Yuan Bing Yan :(
  • Chemistry is natural between them. I like it a lot. There is no bad acting here.
  • I'm interested in this director now so I may check out Magic Grocery Store (where the director was a writer). 

Rating: 3/5

Jump to: Top | Comments

Micro Recaps

[Spoiler Warning]

[Ep1] Shi Yao whispers in Lu Miao's ears: "You're more cruel than me."
[Ep2] Shi Yao buys Lu Miao a matching helmet. It's blue for the blue paint she ruined the wedding at. 
[Ep3] Shi Yao kicks open a door, looking all cool, then cries in silent pain when Lu Miao isn't looking.
[Ep4] Someone's not here:
[Ep5Both: "Mind your own farting business!" LOL. 
FL: Do you like me? 
ML: I'm your ge
FL: Weren't you my "husband" just now?

"Sleeping" together. The butterflies ~
[Ep6] I liked the OST that played here: 
[Ep7] The unexpected camaraderie:
[Ep8] If only their lives could stop here. 
[Ep9] More unexpected camaraderie:

Lu Miao wants a life with just the two of them though: 

Lu Miao: I never thought of you as my brother. 
[Ep10] Shi Yao's so good at cheering Lu Miao up, and calling her "a yi" xD
[Ep11] The episode where Lu Miao dies. 
[Ep12] If it were me, I don't want to become a star. I want to be snow."



Recommendations


"Iconic" "Underrated" Random
The Long Season Faithful My First Love is Secret Love


No comments:

Post a Comment