September 17, 2021

Open Thread #5 (+ cynlynn is curious!)

Gratitude + Random Stuff
Thread #5
Picture DetailsOur Secret | Chen Zhe Yuan

[Volunteer Recaps]
Thank you to jesspepperwang, flash2351, and Rianya for recapping dramas here! I never thought this could happen. jesspepperwang initiated it all by signing up for Love Under the Full Moon. flash2351 fell in love with Bai Lu's Lucky's First Love (and is tempting me to change my rating for it. It's possible). Rianya has also been completing my dropped dramas here and there, and now has taken on a 49-episode(!) drama, Stand By Me. You guys are amazing ~ I have Zhou Si Yue's teary heart eyes for you guys ~ 

It's funny reading some of the comments they have to say. 
  • The universal comment I get from these guys is that their recaps are long, especially Rianya. Guys, it's perfect long or short! I'm just happy you guys find it worthwhile to do recaps here and that there's something enjoyable about the drama you pick to comment on.
  • When jespepperwang first asked about doing a review for Love Under the Full Moon . I had to clarify whether she wanted to do a recap or a review. And then she's like "I feel like the stuff you put in green is a little bit of a review or your thoughts/comments. And a lot of thoughts and comments put together is a review." You see, I always thought my recaps and my reviews are separate things but I guess, they never were xD. I have learned. 
  • Then flash2351 would say my recaps scratch an itch. Cool. cynlynn is a back scratcher. Her nails are at your service. 
[Names]
If you've noticed the teeny changes I've made, congrats, you've got a keen eye and you've been here for a while. I hereby give you a virtual cynlynn badge that is absolutely useless. Woohoo

The change: I have stopped using the actors' English names in my posts

Personally, I find it stupid that Chinese actors give themselves an English name. I wouldn't have a problem if they actually used the English name. No one (Chinese) calls Zhao Li Ying, Zanilia, or Gong Jun, Simon. However, I do understand that for international fans their English names are easier to remember, and autocorrect won't fix it, and so if you use their English names in the comments, I will follow your lead, but in the recaps/reviews, I'm going to skip them. It saves me time (each second matters!). There will be exceptions! For example, actors who do use their English names like Taiwanese, Hong Kong and Uyghur actors (which is technically not English. Anyway), and nicknames like Angelababy, etc. 

Another thing: I'm not typing the Chinese names correctly

I wasn't aware of that when I first started recapping, and it has already become a habit. I would type, for example, Li Chang Ge, but it should be Li Changge. I didn't know a three character Chinese name would become two words in English. I guess it makes sense to follow the 'First Name, Last Name' rule when adapting to English but then shouldn't it be Changge Li? I digress. At the moment, I don't feel like changing. Maybe one day I will. Who knows. 

Note to recappers: Do what you're comfortable with whether it is my wrong way or the right way. 

[cynlynn is curious!]

No comments:

Post a Comment