September 19, 2020

Love and Redemption | Micro Recaps and OSTs

Full Recaps are here. This is only a Micro Recap focusing on ChuYu couple.
Notable Actors/Actresses
Cheng YiYu Si Feng
Yuan Bing Yan: Chu Xuan Ji
Zhang Yu XiChu Ling Long
Director
Scriptwriter
Chinese Title
琉璃
GenresXianxiaRomance 
NetworkYoukuMangoTV
Year2020
Episodes: 59


Micro Recaps


Because I love this drama so much, I summarized ChuYu Couple Scenes episode by episode just so it's easier whenever I want to rewatch. 

[Ep1-8: The first meeting - Si Feng falls in love with Xuan Ji]
[Ep1] Xuan Ji gulps down her saliva of lust when she unmasks Si Feng 
[Ep2] The first saliva promise
[Ep3] The bath scene
[Ep3] Xuan Ji licking off his finger ("This is yearning") 
[Ep4] Xuan Ji giving something sweet to Si Feng's who's being punished. 
[Ep5] The second saliva promise (to meet again in four years)
[Ep5] Si Feng applying ointment to her leg (a ton of cute stuttering here) 
[Ep6] Xuan Ji hugging Si Feng in his bed  
[Ep8] Si Feng continues to love Xuan Ji despite his love being unrequited 
[Ep9-17: The second meeting - Si Feng's Lover's Curse]
[Ep9] Xuan Ji flirts her way back into Si Feng's stone cold heart
[Ep10] The night spent together because of a living rope 
[Ep11] The kiss from Xuan Ji + Truth Pill
[Ep12] The makeup (from the breakfast to the cherry blossom field) 
[Ep13] A cooking Si Feng, a "messed up" Si Feng, and a jealous Si Feng
[Ep15] Xuan Ji unmasks Si Feng (cheek-poking + his favourite red colour)
[Ep16] The mask is frowning ):
[Ep17] A drunk Si Feng + Rose petal scene ("Taking responsibility")
[Ep18-29: Xuan Ji slowly realizing she's in love with Si Feng]
[Ep18] Si Feng kisses Xuan Ji and her heart goes wild 
[Ep20] Xuan Ji kisses Si Feng to make him stay (Si Feng's heart ~)
[Ep21] Xuan Ji declares that she'll only marry Si Feng
[Ep22] Si Feng risks his life to protect Xuan Ji's secret
[Ep23] Xuan Ji risks her life to save Si Feng because he's "worth it" 
[Ep24] Si Feng realizes Xuan Ji loves him +  Si Feng's love lessons 
[Ep27] The ten lifetimes + Xuan Ji realizes she loves Si Feng + Sailor Moon
[Ep28] Xuan Ji's confession + the kisses
[Ep29] Si Feng "warming" up Xuan Ji (so much more meaningful after watching Ep59)
[Ep30-41: Si Feng's Demon Arc]
[Ep30] Si Feng almost dies for Xuan Ji + Xuan Ji willing to die for Si Feng
[Ep32] Si Feng filling in Xuan Ji's brows (+ Xuan Ji adopts Teng She)
[Ep36] Si Feng's back hug to Xuan Ji (he's guilty about lying to her)
[Ep37] Si Feng's magnificent golden wings
[Ep39] Xuan Ji is willing to believe Si Feng despite everything
[Ep40] Si Feng misunderstands Xuan Ji doesn't love him. 
[Ep41] Xuan Ji realizes Si Feng misunderstood her.
[Ep42-47: Si Feng as Mo Sha Xing]
[Ep42] Si Feng realizes Xuan Ji still loves him and that she's Mo Sha Xing
[Ep43] Si Feng pretends to be Mo Sha Xing (so cool)
[Ep44] Si Feng and Xuan Ji battle each other; they fight but they still care.
[Ep45] Xuan Ji is in an utter emotional mess because she almost killed Si Feng
[Ep46] Even if Si Feng suffered so much, he still loves Xuan Ji
[Ep47] The ultimate mistrust from Xuan Ji but Si Feng still sacrifices to protect her
[Ep48-53: Xuan Ji's pursuit of Si Feng]
[Ep48] Xuan Ji knows!!!!! (almost all that Si Feng has done for her)
[Ep49] Liu Yi Huan, Wu Zhi Qi, and Ting Nu help Xuan Ji find Si Feng
[Ep50] The reunion at the wedding + Si Feng being cold on purpose
[Ep51] Xuan Ji risks anything to melt Si Feng's cold heart again 
[Ep52] The Lover's Curse is removed ♥♥
[Ep53] Si Feng will die with the nucleus to protect Xuan Ji from the truth
[Ep54-58: Xuan Ji as the real Mo Sha Xing]
[Ep55] Si Feng will love Xuan Ji even if she's currently Ji Du (hehe)
[Ep56] Si Feng learns from Ji Du (in Xuan Ji's form) of all the pains she went through
[Ep57] Si Feng remembers he's a God who has always loved Xuan Ji
[Ep59] Xuan Ji is back! Si Feng is alive! Wedding! Kiss! Baby!

My favourite scenes are indicated by the 's. I tried so hard to limit these to five but I couldn't. If I didn't limit myself at all, this entire section would have hearts all over it. 

Let me know what your favourite scenes are!

Original Sound Track


If you're addicted to Love and Redemption, I highly recommend listening to the OSTs. You'll be experiencing withdrawal. 

刘宇宁 Liu Yu Ning – 琉璃 Coloured Glass (opening song) 

I had thought this OST was out of place but when Xuan Ji is paired with her Ding Kun, they are deserving of this powerful rock song. The lyrics relate so much to her Warrior God self. Here are parts of the lyrics: "Yin and Yang", "Choose Good Not the World", "I have been courageous, I have loved, I have no regrets", "I have thousand years of love, I'm fighting for the three worlds." This last line, I interpret it as Xuan Ji is armed with thousand years of love from Si Feng to save the world for him

阿云嘎 Ayanga & 郁可唯 Lisa – 情人咒 Lover's Curse

A very pretty duet. The female voice is talking to Xuan Ji and the male voice to Si Feng"How do you know where you're going without a heart and soul?", "Every time you feel love, you will feel more disappointed, I've learned to banish before embracing this pain that hurts my muscle and my boneTogether: "As the hand, as the foot, I cannot be without you.", "In the corner of your cold eyes, there is gentleness that teaches me good and evil", "As fire, As ash, as I, cannot be without.There has to be a "you" and there has to be an "I".
 
周深 Charlie Shen– 爱若琉璃 Love Like Coloured Glass

"Unlock all the memories sealed at the bottom of your heart", "Let me be with you watching flowers bloom and flowers wither." This reminds me of the scene when Xuan Ji was waiting for Si Feng to wake up"My love for you has no end. I will love you till my last breath. Our love is like coloured glass (Liuli)."

何晟铭 Michael – 若就这样了 If Just Like This 
李琦Li Qi – 步崖 Step Cliff

"I thought I could pretend, pretend I'm not in love with you, that I'm not thinking of you so that it won't hurt", "Love is a cliff to cross", "Love isn't tear-free, so who cares how absurd it is. No one can take your place next to me. You're just one step away into the sky. even if it's a step over the cliff" These lyrics refer to the times when Si Feng wanted to stop loving her. Love isn't easy but he still took that step towards her.

Shuang Sheng – Thousand Years of Love

Some lyrics: "A little pain, a little trial, and a lot of work for nothing. Don't underestimate me, I have all the time in the world", "I can be reduced, I can bear it, a thousand years of loneliness, the dream you gave me is enough for me to be happy for a long time." Si Feng's theme song. He  loved Xuan Ji for a thousand years. "If you don't understand in this life, wake me up in the next", "Even if it's wistful thinking, even if I'm alone again, I'll wait another thousand years, "When our eyes met, we were destined to meet again." Si Feng ah~~ 

Barry – Guard
Cheng Yi – 守 Guard 

"We'll have white hair and talk about our future", "However long is (my) life will all be yours" "If the glass heart can give birth to flesh and blood (Xuan Ji) then fate can be penetrated." This is the song that played during the wedding scene.

音频怪物 Yin Pin Guai Wu – 劫 Trial

A very pretty song for Purple Fox and Wu Zhi Qi

王野 King – 心知我意 Heart Knows My Feelings

A song for Si Feng's past lives"Heavenly songs and a beautiful world. How can it compare to a lifetime with the one you?"

Yang Xi Zi – Wish

Xiao Yin Hua sings this.

Wang Yu Tong – Coloured Glass 
Bai Shu – Fated One

A song by Teng She

Yuan Bing Yan – 同心而语 Speak Out of the Same Heart

The song that was released after the drama finished airing... It would have been Xuan Ji's song on her going against her Warrior God fate. 
 

News


[Will Cheng Yi be the next Ding Yu Xi?] 

Read a bit more about Ding Yu Xi here. Ding Yu Xi was crowned as April/May boyfriend because of his back to back successful dramas. He also received unnecessary hate for promoting another drama (Intense Love) when his other more popular drama "The Romance of Tiger and Rose" was still airing. Cheng Yi is in a similar position (August boyfriend). He’s receiving a lot of love as Si Feng but he’s simultaneously promoting his other project (Meng Xing Chang An) that he’s currently filming. He’s not getting the same amount of hate as Ding Yu Xi though, just enough to draw comparisons. The haphazard coincidence is the female lead of that drama is also Zhang Yu Xi. She was the innocent victim in the Ding Yu Xi fiasco. What terrible luck she has. On another note, I don’t know how I feel about Si Feng romancing Ling Long :/ but that’s at least in a year’s time. 

Off topic on topic. Cheng Yi also filmed 'The Promise of Changan' and the female lead is Madam Rong from this drama. So weird, lol. He’s romancing all the Love and Redemption girls. Yin Tao is the director of this one too. He’s got Under the Power, Listening Snow Tower, The Destiny of White Snake and The Glory of Tang Dynasty under his belt. Personally, I think this director really knows how to make romances to suit my taste. He consistently rehires actors I like too.  

[The unfortunate mini-concert]

This could have been a simple mini concert for fans to reminisce Love and Redemption but it turned out to be a bitter, bitter farewell.

What happened in this mini concert that angered (1) ChuYu & (2) Yuan Bing Yan fans. (1) The absence of anything ChuYu to the point that made fans feel they're more distant than strangers. It's like they had a bad breakup or something. There's a purposeful gap between them. Their shoulders never touched once. (2) The neglect of Yuan Bing Yan. She disappeared for all the game segments. Cheng Yi also wasn't paying attention when Yuan Bing Yan was performing something. 

How it all happened. This is my take on what I see from briefly checking out Weibo. There's three camps: Cheng Yi's, Yuan Bing Yan's, and ChuYu's. Disclaimer: I identify myself as a ChuYu fan so I am biased in that sense. In the last dozen of episodes there was so much hate targeting Yuan Bing Yan mainly from Cheng Yi's fans who are disappointed in her acting and her character being a doofus making Si Feng spit blood every other episode. I think the hate on her is outrageous, that's my personal opinion. Thus, come this fan-meet, Cheng Yi and Yuan Bing Yan have built an invisible wall between themselves. There's ZERO interaction between them. It's like they don't even see each other. 

The equilibrium of hate has shifted. From Yuan Bing Yan receiving the hate, it's now Cheng Yi. ChuYu fans are disappointed in Cheng Yi's attitude. In his defence, he's keeping a distance for various explainable reasons. They had a promotion where they were too close that it felt forced. He is also in a new drama that's currently airing (Promise of Chang'an) that he should be promoting as well. Finally, he's filming a new drama Meng Xing Chang'an with Zhang Yu Xi (Ling Long) who coincidentally isn't here. I wonder why. 

My opinions. Yuan Bing Yan's sincerity to her role as Xuan Ji is heartfelt. Her love for Xuan Ji is felt in her preparation for her opening performance (with Ji Du), the way she introduced her character. On the other hand, Cheng Yi doesn't bring in the same passion. As a ChuYu fan, I'm disappointed in their distancing, but it bothers me the most how distant Cheng Yi is to his own character as Si Feng. For the ending segment when they said goodbye to their characters, Yuan Bing Yan was in tears of gratitude. I'm not asking for Cheng Yi to be in tears but what he said was "Si Feng is saying goodbye, but Cheng Yi isn't." Naw, I still want Si Feng. And then he said later on "We just started, we really just started, we will definitely show you better productions." I still am crying over Love and Redemption though! Cheng Yi is repeatedly saying goodbye to Si Feng and to look forward to Cheng Yi instead. Many ChuYu fans are not asking him to recreate CP feels with Yuan Bing Yan, but at least remind us he was once Si Feng. Si Feng was absent in this concert. 

The mini concert is better un-watched if you're a die-hard ChuYu fan. However, there is also this clip that Yuan Bing Yan and Cheng Yi have separately filmed for their "eleventh lifetime together". That's worth a watch and you can probably find it as a standalone clip. 

If you love the drama as a whole and can bear the social-distancing between our leads, do watch it. It's unfortunate their non-interaction is overshadowing the entire mini-concert for the other actors: Micky He (Li Ze Gong master), Han Cheng Yu (Liu Yi Huan), Fu Fang Jun (Wu Zhi Qi), Hou Meng Yao (Purple Fox), Lu Yan Ran (Xiao Yin Hua), Liu Xue Yi (Hao Chen), Bai Shu (Teng She), Ethan Yao (Ting Nu), and Li Xin Ze (Ji Du). Notable performances include Yuan Bing Yan and Ji Du's dance for "Coloured Glass", Bai Shu's (Teng She) singing/dancing performance and Lu Yan Ran's (Xiao Yin Hua) singing. She might be the only one who's not lip-syncing. 

The only silver-lining I can conjure in this is hopefully Yuan Bing Yan gets a little less hate and little more love. Although I'm a little disappointed in Cheng Yi, I'm pretty sure I'll be receptive of all his new dramas when the times comes. 

Let's just enjoy the drama that's actually in the drama


No comments:

Post a Comment