December 6, 2022

First Love: Hatsukoi | Short Review

A first love that couldn’t be forgotten. 
Notable Actors/Actresses
Mitsushima HikariNoguchi Yae
Satoh TakeruNamiki Harumichi 
Japanese Title
初恋
First Love
(Same characters as Chinese)
Year2022 
Episodes: 9



(Recommendation: Sort comments to “Oldest” if you’re not up to date with the newest episode)

Cast

Mitsushima HikariNoguchi Yae
Satou TakeruNamiki Harumichi 


Genres 


Time/WorldContemporary
RomanceRomance
SettingSchool Element
Other RelationshipsFamily
Other Genres: First Love


Romcom/Romance Checklist



How much of the plot is angst/romance?
0 / 1 / 2.5 / 3 / 4 / 5
The ML
Cold / Warm / Shy / Falls in Love First / Noble Idiot / CEO / General /
The FL
Bold / Cute / Cool & Independent / Falls in Love First / Better Than ML / Noble Idiot /  
Describe the Relationship (the tropes):
Childhood Connection / Cohabitation / Contract Marriage +/- Fake Couple / Enemies to Lovers / Hate to Love / Hidden Identity / High School to Adulthood / Love Triangle / Married Couple (Real) / Secretly in Love (F/M)  /
Relationship Progress (officially togetherfirst (official) kiss; breakup*):
Ep 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 
# of Secondary CPs (w/ happy endings):
0 / 1 / 2 / 3
Ending:
Happy / Sad / Open Happy / Open Sad / Bad


Remarks


[First Impression (Ep1-2)] For the first few minutes, I already fell in love with the ambience, the raw simplicity. The plot is so old, but the cinematography has that fine touch. Everything feels so nostalgic and so romantic. There’s also a tinge of bitterness. What happened to these two that they’re separated? Now they're finding traces of each other in this vast world. It’s the type of romance that slows down a busy city, warms a winter night, and blurs the light until the one you love comes into focus. 

[Ending] Happy. Almost too perfect! Regardless, I am relieved. However, the 2FL hurts me. I feel for her! 

[Review] I’m not convinced that such a deep first love can exist but I still love this drama. As I imagined, the first love was beautiful and bitter, but it went beyond my imagination with some really breathtaking scenery. The angst was mellow (I didn’t feel too sad) and the romance was passionate (I yearned for them!). 

The drama itself is a time capsule of the monumental events for Japan: national (2011 Tsunami), global (COVID-19), outer space (NOZOMI) and transcendental (Titanic, Utada Hikaru, the rise of Japanese pop culture). It’s a story that had our couple’s love transcend time and space. 

I love that Yae’s heart remembered who she loved and I love it that she fell in love with Harumichi all over again. I also love love the small, subtle details for rumination, especially after finishing the drama. I have a newfound appreciation for the intricate timeline, the blue colours, the airplane metaphorsthe jigsaw pieces, and the laundromat scene. I’m sure there’s more but that’s all for now as I finish typing the review for this beautifully executed simple love story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment