July 15, 2021

Open Thread #4

What are you watching?
Thread #4
Period: July 15, 2021 – July 28, 2021
Picture DetailsReally Meet Love That Day | Zhong Dan Ni and Zhu Jia Qi 

Purpose: This is a place for you all to comment or vote on anything that you’re watching. It's interesting for me because I get to be on the other end of knowing what you guys are watching instead of it all being one-sided. Also, I don’t want to be participating in the comments section unless I’m prompted to answer a question. 

Trial: Last one! 

[Poll: What are you watching?
Poll will be continuously updated throughout the two weeks to include new (***) drama. You can submit anything else you're watching by filling in "Other". To see poll results, after you vote, click “See previous responses”. It will be a pop up window. If you want to see results without voting, simply click  “Submit answer" (without voting). 
[Miscellaneous]
I gave myself two weeks to think about whether I wanted to post this. I still do but at least I’m much more serene about this.

The Mini Recaps that I do is a format I came up with for over a year now. Along the way, I’ve tweaked it bit by bit, improved it bit by bit. I’ve spent countless hours trying to arrive at the format I have now. For someone else to take it as if it’s natural without an ounce of recognition and going around to promote themselves is rude to say the least.

I feel like I’m that person’s Welcome Mat. Step on me. Stomp on me. Please take advantage of me. Please use my format and promote yourself like I don’t exist.

This might not be that person’s intention but this is how I feel. At this point, I do not want recognition from that person, and I also do not want to be promoting that person here so please do not ask me who it is.

In the last two week, I thought about what I wanted to establish with this post. Mainly, I just wanted to vent. I also did not want to exaggerate the issue by dedicating a whole new post just for that person. Do I want this person to stop recapping? Do I even have that power? The answer is no to both. The person has done what they’ve done and might as well go on with it (I mean this – no sarcasm intended). But any more similarities, please stop.

[Drama Recommendation]
Lost Romance: A Taiwanese drama (2020). This was brought to my attention by Rianya and I love it~  This took me three-four episodes to settle in. I love the humour in the beginning. It tackles the tropes of romcom while being a romcom. There's a lot of inside jokes if you're a regular romcom fan. Then it has a mysterious component: What happened to the real body/life of He Tianxin? Are Situ Aoran and He Tianxin the same person? Who is Qinfeng (the flames!)? The mystery unravels itself right to the end. There's chemistry between the leads. Marcus Chang (who's hot) plays two characters that are convincingly different and yet the drama has a way to connect both of them. Vivian Sung portrays Zheng Xiaoen with so much emotion and logic that I understand why she was in a heartbreak in the later episodes rather than seeing it as a pointless obstacle to make the drama longer. The business arc was not something I paid attention to but I do like the scenes with He Ming Li.

Rating4/5 


[New Drama Updates]
(I will be copying and pasting little blurbs I make on new dramas from "Airing Schedule")

[July 15]

I remember complaining about the amount of dramas with 40+ episodes and asking where my 24-episode dramas were and now they're coming in batches. Gosh. Drama-gods, I'll stop complaining. 

Generally speaking, I am disappointed in the new dramas. It's not that they're all bad, there are some I like and I may love them in the future but nothing truly stands out from the pack. 
Crossroad Bistro [3/30]: First episode didn't convince me. It's a character based drama and I wasn't sure I liked the characters. But Ep3 was hilarious: "12345" and "54321". 
Gourmet in Tang Dynasty [1/27]: Another one I want to watch (if I can make time for it). It's 10 minutes per episode and I found the first episode a lot of fun. Our FL is a chubby girl who was transported back to Tang Dynasty. She takes pride in being chubby and is terribly upset she lost all her weight in this new body. I have yet to see the interaction with the ML but I'm looking forward to it. In the cooking scenes, the drama actually writes out the ingredients. 
The Lost Tomb 2 [0/24]: I hear this is the worst one in the whole Lost Tomb series. I wasn't going to watch this at all because I don't know the series but now I'm curious how bad it is. By the way, the ML is Bai Shu, our snake from Love and Redemption. Liu Xue Yi is also in this. 
Lover or Stranger [8/29]: The second of Song Qian (Victoria) and Ou Hao. This drama can't be any more stingier with the hints. I was curious about who the heck our FL is and why our ML is so creepy but it's so slooooow even at 2x speed. Am I just impatient? I have these sparse notes that I really don't see a point in posting. I'm still interested in figuring out who she is. I might just watch the very last episode when it's out. 
My Fated Boy [3/29]: This cover image is way too dark for what the drama actually is. It's a romance between an older woman and a younger man. He's also a celebrity. He has loved her since birth, actually, before conception. I think that's what the drama is going for. Our boy has this cute smile and I think that's a good enough selling point for the drama. Tian Xi Wei is also in this! I like her a lot but she's playing an annoying second female lead. Also, is it just me or does Li Xi Rui have these really sad looking eyes? 

[July 19]
Remembrance of Things Past [1/12]: I watched one episode of this and I just had to immediately post something, anything about this drama because I am in tears right now. I had no idea what to expect, found myself tearing up in the middle and then tears just drizzled at the end. This is not my usual type of drama but it is so good. 
Lady Tough [4/12]: Another 12 episode drama. This one is much shorter, being ~30mins per episode. This is getting pretty good reviews for it's quality and relatable female lead. She has a craziness that girls around her age can relate to and a good sense of dark humour. There is potential for romance but I can't predict anything with our FL being so eccentric. If you haven't started this and it seems like your type, I'd recommend you start this later to binge it. I kind of regret watching this too early. 

So many female-centric dramas. What do men watch in China? xD 

[July 26]
Jeez, what's the rush dramaland? Why push out so many dramas today? I haven't tried anything yet. Olympics, anyone? 
  • Song of Youth [43]: Starring Bai LuWang Yi ZheJin Chen (two ongoing dramas, eh), Zheng Qiu Hong. It's a Yu Zheng production so you will recognize familiar faces. 
  • Timeless Love [24]: Starring Chen You Wei, Xu Yi Yang, and Fu Wei Lun. Since Chen You Wei's appearance in last year's Everybody's Standby, he's known as the worst actor. The guy did give pretty embarrassing performances... but give him an idol drama, he should be fine. I think. 
  • You Are My Glory [32]: Do I even have to say who the actors are? I am definitely checking this one out.
  • Once Given, Never Forgotten [40]: Produced way back in 2016. Once tossed, never recycle – that's the message this drama is giving me. Hey, prove me wrong for anyone who watched this. Also, Zhang Chao is in this but as the second lead. Zhang Xue Ying is our leading lady. I wonder what happened to her dramas these past two years. Last thing! Anyone who has watched My Sunshine, our second couple is reunited except it looks like he's the male lead and she's the second female lead (from the poster).
Dramas that aired earlier: 
Broker [1/42]: Ep1 is more than enough to tell me I don't want to watch this. 
Mystery of Antiques III [12/44]: I really love the way this looks and the striking contrasts everywhere (a palace and a university setting, a princess educated in England, women's movement when the monarchy is still sorta active). The plot is not digesting well for me but I think it's a me thing. No recaps. But I will be watching this in the background (when Time is cooperating). 

No comments:

Post a Comment