November 5, 2020

Everybody Standby Season 2 | Part 1 Episode 3 Recap

Cyn-opsis: Watch actors be ripped apart on live TV. 
Host: Dong Cheng Peng (Da Peng)
Directors
Chen Kai Ge
Er Dong Sheng (Derek Yee)
Guo Jing Ming (Edward Guo)
Zhao Wei (Vicki Zhao)
Li Cheng Ru
Chinese Title
演员请就位第二季
Network: Tencent 
Year2020

Part 1: List of Performances 

  1. Eternal Love vs. It Started with a Kiss [Ep1]
  2. Better Days
  3. My People, My Country
  4. The Bad Kids
  5. The Untamed [Ep2]
  6. Go Ahead vs. With You
  7. Dearest vs. Temptress Moon vs. Shoplifters
  8. Kim Ji Young, Born 1982
  9. The Stolen Years
  10. Tiny Times vs. Forever Enthralled [Ep3]
  11. Nothing but Thirty x3
  12. I am Somebody vs. Shou Yi Ren
  13. Winter Begonia 

10a. Tiny Times

Actors/Actresses
Li Xi Rui (Sierra Li): Gu Li
Pretty Li Hui Zhen as Xiao Qiao
Meng Zi Yi (Zoey Meng): Su Su 
The Untamed as Wen Qing
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Bad > Good 

Guo Jing Ming: You two were very cruel to each other and kept firing lines but forgot that you are friends deep down. You two exploded too early, there was nowhere to go after that. It wasn't perfect, but thank you for bringing me back to my past [Tiny Times is his work] 

The Drama after the Drama
Zhao Wei: I don't think it was bad but I thought the drama afterwards was worse. Ou. She's calling them dramatic in their face. I think you (Li Xi Rui) forgetting her lines was very minor and you have a bad habit of repeating your lines. You never thought about saving your lines. I also noticed when you (Li Xi Rui) cried, Meng Zi Yi looked like she was thinking she must cry too since you're crying. [Everyone's laughing, even Meng Zi Yi] I agree with Zhao Wei. Li Xi Rui was over dramatic. Her reaction stole all the spotlight from the performance and that is something she should be apologizing to Meng Zi Yi for. 

Er Dong Sheng: With your (Li Xi Rui) mentality, can you be an actress? I think your acting is good, there's depth but you need to be strong. [Li Xi Rui cries: "Can I not be strong?"] This is a high stress career. You have to be strong. 

Chen Kai Ge: You two kept firing each other at high speed. I was waiting for a moment for a pause. A break. If you two allowed a break it would bring out your emotions. Li Xi Rui, your stumbles weren't a problem because it's an argument, it's normal to stumble. Meng Zi Yi, I think you did better because you do look like you're fighting with your friend. 

Other Highlights
Sierra Li is an actress who is known for her role in "Pretty Li Hui Zhen" for managing to stand her own against Dilreba. Unfortunately, her main roles after that weren't nearly as her supporting role. (These are the words of a director who graded her as B in Episode 1. Not my words! But I agree) Meng Zi Yi also had a pivotal character in The Untamed but she wasn't able to exploit it. (Again not my words, but I thought she did well in Untamed. Didn't the fans also forcefully trimmed her role down?)

10b. Forever Enthralled

Actors/Actresses
Huang Meng Ying (Maggie Huang): Meng Xiao Dong
Eternal Love as Su Jin
Wen Zheng RongFu Zhi Fang
Actress of 15+ years
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: GOOD (except Guo Jing Ming)

Chen Kai Ge: High praises. This was also his movie. I like the smile Wen Zheng Rong gave at the end because Fu Zhi Fang (her character) won and that was her victory smile. 
Zhao Wei: Really good. But how it could have been better is if Wen Zheng Rong can give a bit of her ferociousness to Huang Meng Ying and if Huang Meng Ying can give a bit of her tenderness to Wen Zheng Rong then the balance would have been perfect. 
Guo Jing Ming: I don't feel the connection with the two of you. You're each acting your own.

Other Highlights
Wen Zheng Rong practically controlled the practice. I think she micromanaged Huang Meng Ying but fortunately the result was good and it gave them both their recognition. However, because of this I'm not a huge fan of Wen Zheng Rong. Too bossy

Result
Tiny Times vs. Forever Enthralled

Forever Enthralled wins unanimously 
Huang Meng Ying: A → A
Wen Zheng Rong: B → S (Er Dong Sheng)

Tiny Times
Li Xi Rui: A → B 
Meng Zi Yi: A → B


Huang Meng Ying's Leading Actress Face
Before leaving the stage, Huang Meng Ying asked the directors about "Leading Actress Face." She was once denied a main role because she doesn't have the so called face for a leading part. Zhao Wei thinks it's garbage and swears on TV. It's an irresponsible excuse to give an actress to deny them of a role. Chen Kai Ge assures her she's got a leading face. Interestingly, a director in Ep1 (when all the actors went through their initial grading) also commented on how she doesn't have a leading actress face. 

11a. Nothing but Thirty 

Actors/Actresses
Li Zhi Nan (Kelvin Li): Chen Yu 
Story of Yanxi Palace as Yong Qi 
Wang Sha ShaZhong Xiao Qin
Serenade of Peaceful Joy as Consort Zhang 
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Bad

Li Cheng Ru: Pretty good. [All the directors stare at him because no one agrees with him]
Chen Kai Ge: Disagrees with Li Cheng Ru and makes him admit he's wrong for not criticizing the two actors. Lol. You two are acting (superficially). I don't know what relationship you two have.
Guo Jing Ming: Very ordinary and mediocre. It's something I'll let play in the background because I'm busy on my phone. 
Er Dong Sheng: How can you (Li Zhi Nan) act for so long and still be so bad?


Li Zhi Nan's Blank Years
He was famous for an idol drama once upon a time. Afterwards, his company wouldn't receive any roles if it didn't match the salary they demanded. So for four to five years he had no roles. Then his company tried to switch him to singing and he recorded something but after a year it couldn't be released. He has anxiety about not receiving any work. He acknowledges the directors' criticisms; they're absolutely correct, he wasn't able to enter into his role. Er Dong Sheng comforts him, "I don't think a person is unlucky for the rest of your life. You have your worth, don't look down on yourself."

11b. Nothing but Thirty

Actors/Actresses
Lou Yi Xiao: Wang Man Ni 
iPartment as Hu Yi Fei
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Bad

Li Cheng Ru: You're acting for yourself
Guo Jing Ming: Agrees with Li Cheng Ru (!!!). Everything you did was planned well but there was no emotion. [Ni Hong Jie speaks to Guo Xiao Ting in the backroom that acting does need planning but you can't let the audience see through it. That's why Ni Hong Jie is so good.]
Er Dong Sheng: Do you know what type of person you're acting?
Chen Kai Ge: If you know Wang Man Ni's motive, you wouldn't have acted like that. 
Guo Jing Ming: follows up on CKG. There's two points in the performance that you missed out on. First, when a man loves the woman, he wouldn't sit across from her and watch her take off her clothes so coldly like that. At that moment, your expression could have changed. Second, when the waitress gave you a blouse. A lot production use that trick. It's called "A Stranger's Kindness". That is the moment you should have been at your weakest (e.g. when a strong man gets a candy from a girl, etc.). Interesting

11c. Nothing but Thirty

Actors/Actresses
Tang Yi Fei: Gu Jia
Actress of 15+ years; married with children; no representative project in past ten years
Cao JunXu Huan Shan
Small supporting roles; doesn't have a lot of presence 
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Fail

Li Cheng Ru: You two were the best of the Nothing but Thirty group. Again, no one else agrees with him, ha.
Guo Jing Ming: Absolutely messy. One moment yelling, one moment calm, and then in the pool. "Really??". And then you need to sing?? And then drown??? Hahaha, GJM's entire reaction was so funny.
Er Dong Sheng: This performance does not meet my expectation. I cannot find the focus. [Tang Yi Fei clarifies that she really liked the bathtub scene so that's why she included it]. You're better off without the bathtub scene. [Zhao Wei agrees]
Chen Kai Ge: Who's idea was it to enter the bathtub? [Tang Yi Fei quickly takes the responsibility] My question is how does entering the bathtub help your characterization. Does this planning of yours touch the audience? [Tang Yi Fei: I didn't think about the audience] You didn't think about the audience? This is your problem. You are pleasing yourself. This is something I particularly cannot accept. 

Tang Yi Fei Doesn't Get It
Tang Yi Fei apologizes for not considering the audience. It never occurred to her that the audience wouldn't join her in on her time jump to the bathtub scene. At the very end she tells the directors she still doesn't know where she went wrong. She'll go back home and review where she went wrong. Guo Ji Ming comforts her that she has shown her worth as an actress. He believes that with the right director guiding her she can perform better. 

Cao Jun's Last Rank 
Cao Jun is ranked 40 of all the actors. He has very little presence. Da Peng recounts to the directors that during the photoshoot, there was one actor who stood in the corner and barely moved or barely talked. It was Cao Jun. When Da Pend offered to add him on WeChat, Cao Jun thought he was a hassle to Da Peng. This was Da Peng's story of him. Da Peng tells Cao Jun that this moment is all his to talk. I really like Da Peng for dedicating a time for Cao Jun to speak with a story like that. Cao Jun has a very simply question: "Am I suitable to be an actor."

Chen Kai Ge: What we value is can you perform on this stage. Did you improve. Do you understand and can you prove it. 
Er Dong Sheng: Are you getting by? [Cao Jun says he is] Do you want to continue? [He does] Come after and I'll give you my WeChat. Find me if you need help

Result
Winner: Lou Yi Xiao (as Wang Man Ni)

Li Zhi Nan: B → B 
Wang Sha Sha: B → B 
Lou Yi Xiao: S → 
Tang Yi Fei: B → B 
Cao Jun: B → B

Three directors chose different team: CKG chose Lou Yi Xiao; EDS chose Li Zhi Nan and Wang Sha Sha; ZW chose Tang Yi Fei and Cao Jun. The tie breaker is GJM. He chose Lou Yi Xiao.

12a. I Am Somebody

Actors/Actresses
Sun Qian: Lin Chen 
Dr. Cutie as Tian Qi 
Zhang Hai YuWei Xing
Love and Destiny as Si Ming
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: GOOD

Guo Jing Ming: This was the best performance today. [Stands up and applauds them] The naturalness, the emotions, the control, the cooperation, the tempo you both had was brilliant. It was like a movie. I forgot I was a director. I felt like I was an audience. I absolutely love this performance. I am very proud of you two. I AGREE.
Er Dong Sheng: Did you rewrite this yourself? [Zhang Hai Yu explains that Da Peng spent a lot of time with their team and he was the one who gave them the emotional part at the end because Da Peng didn't want them to fall behind with the emotional ] I think this is very good. [Er Dong Sheng is the original director of I am Somebody]
Chen Kai Ge: Very natural. 
  • To Zhang Hai Yu. You are a new discovery for me. You did very well. [In a separate individual interview with Chen Kai Ge he said this: "His not so very handsome face helped him." LOL]. You ate the tomato so deliciously. You used it to demonstrate your desire for acting. You have a tiny flaw. That phone call at the end shouldn't have been that easy to make. You were too quick. You should have hesitated. 
  • To Sun Qian. You were great at being drunk when you opened the door. However, your drunk act disappeared too soon. Your tears were too much when your fiancé made the call. 
  • Congratulations to both actors for such a good performance. 
Sun Qian Last Rank Among the Girls
Sun Qian had no choice for her role because all the girls chose before her. There's nothing wrong with her character in "I Am Somebody" it's just the opponents are too strong (they're either A's or S's). Sun Qian's interview with Da Peng: "Aiyah I'm quite happy (voice cutely breaks)." Everyone's laughing at how cute she is. Spoiler: Sun Qian went from the last girl to the first in rank A

12b. Shou Yi Ren (Beneficiary)

Actors/Actresses
Guo Xiao TingYue Miao Miao 
We Are All Alone as Lin Xiang
Yang Zhi GangWu Hai 
In a lot of Republican dramas; His older brother is a director; 
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Bad 

Guo Jing Ming: Ai-yo. I don't like this. You two were just reading lines. I didn't like the combination of the comedy and the seriousness.  
Er Dong Sheng: Agrees with GJM. I know you have been in a lot of (your brother's) movies. Their expectation of you is just that (translation: not high at all). Every time you act, they're all about the same. I don't blame you entirely. Perhaps you also need to find directors to guide you. I might advise you to copy. Copy others and change the way you act. 
Chen Kai Ge: I see what your motives are but your (Yang Zhi Gang) eyes don't show it. I do not like how easily it was for the both of you to share your darkest secrets so easily like that which is why when you two hugged at the end, I was not moved. 
Zhao Wei: Compliments Guo Xiao Ting. 

Guo Xiao Ting Tattletales
On stage Guo Xiao Ting tells the directors that they didn't practice after being lectured by the directors for their performance. Yang Zhi Gang's reasoning for not practicing is that too much practice dries up their emotions. She continues to tattletale about how the comedic lines were Yang Zhi Gang's ideas. She actually didn't agree with it. I see where she's coming from because I'd hate to work with people like Yang Zhi Gang too (the type to do things his way without accommodating at all) but that was not the time and place for Guo Xiao Ting to tattletale. It doesn't look good on her.

Result
I Am Somebody vs. Shou Yi Ren 

Winner: I am Somebody
Sun Qian: B → A 
Zhang Hai Yu: B → A

Shou Yi Ren
Guo Xiao Ting: A → B 
Yang Zhi Gang: S → B

13. Winter Begonia

Actors/Actresses
Sun Yang: Cheng Feng Tai
Hong Kong actor, mainly supporting roles 
Zhang Ming EnShang Xi Rui
Tientsin Mystic as Ding Mao
 
Directors’ Critique 
Short: Fail 

Er Dong Sheng:
  • To Sun Yang. You downgraded from your previous project. Perhaps this is not a time period you're used to. [Winter Begonia is Republican]
  • To Zhang Ming En. I am not moved by your performance. You lacked some reaction. 
  • Overall, I don't think this is good. Perhaps if there was a director and time for you to practice, it would be better.  
Zhao Wei: The connection between you were too superficial. 
Chen Kai Ge: This performance made me angry. It was too awkward. This was a fail. What is the relationship between your character? Have you two discussed this? [Sun Yang says they're soulmates] Sun Yang, what is your character's motive to be here? From your performance, I did not see any intention of you wanting to bring him with you. I also want to say I don't know relationship you two have. Both of you did not feel your relationship and we (directors) definitely don't feel it. Both of you failed. 

Zhang Ming En's Controversy 
Zhang Ming En: "I accept the market's perception of me. I understand and I accept. Is it the true or false. I came here to use my talent... I'm actually a bit of confident in my acting and I'm quite thankful that I was allowed to stand here on stage." I tried to translate this as close to his words as possible. If the flow doesn't make sense it's because he's not making sense. He's avoiding clarifying his rumours because it's true he taught Hu Bing Qing how to sabotage Xu Lu (his ex) and that's on top of all the breakup/cheating rumours. That's why he ranked as B by the directors in the initial grading when his skills are at least an A. One of those directors even said this: As an actor, it is best to not have any negative rumours. No duh. Zhang Ming En tells the directors he's here for his passion for acting. He cries a bit that although he's plagued by his reputation, he has confidence in his acting. But even that bit of confidence is shaken up here. 

Result
Sun Yang: B → B
Zhang Ming En: B → A*

*It was a tie (Zhou Wei and Guo Jing Ming chose Sun Yang). Audience chose Zhang Ming En. 

[Episode Highlights] 

  • Girl problems
    • Tiny Times: more drama after the drama 
    • Huang Meng Yi and her question about what leading face actress means. 
    • Guo Xiao Ting tattletales 
  • S actor: Wen Zheng Rong 
  • All 8 S Actors: 
    • Ren Min (Better Days)
    • Shu Bo Yu (Better Days)
    • He Cheng Xi (The Untamed)
    • Ding Cheng Xin (Go Ahead)
    • Wang Qiang (Go Ahead)
    • Myolie Wu (Dearest)
    • Huang Yi (Temptress Moon)
    • Wen Zheng Rong (Forever Enthralled)

[Commentary] 


[I am Somebody] My favourite performance for the entire Part 1. It was just as Guo Jing Ming described. It felt like a drama. There were highs and lows. It was comedic and emotional. I was surprised Sun Qian did so well. She exceeded my expectations. I was certain Zhang Hai Yu was going to overshadow her but these two brought out the best in each other. 

[Forever Enthralled] My second favourite. Although I didn't like Wen Zheng Rong for micromanaging Huang Meng Ying, her judgement on the performance was accurate. The moment Huang Meng Ying opened the door to her, I was sucked into their performance. These two actresses played off each other very well. 

[Actors I Support
Females: Ni Hong Jie, Sun Qian, Huang Meng Ying
Males: Wang Qiang, Yan Zi Dong, Cao Jun, Chen You Wei

The emotional ones I support

Chen You Wei's Eternal Love began the reality show. And I think I might be the only one in this world who cried so much for him (and Wang Chu Ran). I'm weak against criticisms, in your face type of criticisms, and hearing criticisms for OTHER people make me cry too. It's awful having sensitive tear ducts. Anyways. He had the harshest critique (I've ever heard in my entire life) and I just want him to overcome those who look down on him with his skill. I hope he's got it in him.  

I feel for Huang Meng Ying's leading actress face dilemma. I do think it's a thing in showbiz for certain girls to look like a leading actress vs. other girls. I also understand why the initial directors that graded her said such a thing. It's totally not fair but it's a reality. It makes it that much more of a feat for girls like Huang Meng Ying to break through those stereotypes. I hope she succeeds with all the directors encouraging her. She can certainly act. 

Cao Jun gets my underdog vote. He was so natural in Nothing but Thirty with Tang Yi Fei but all the attention went to her. He's got this personality that makes me want to shake him alive. I know he can act. 

The skilled ones I support

Ni Hong Jie is my top girl to support. She's a bundle of charm offscreen and onscreen. The only visible flaw of hers is perhaps her age but that I believe is also her greatest weapon. Her acting has so much depth because of her experience. 

Wang Qiang and Yan Zi Dong are actors I've seen elsewhere whom I really like. I don't think they completely showed what they had here but I'm glad they're garnering positive responses, especially Wang Qiang. 

Sun Qian is a surprise. I thought she was just going to be cute but she managed to act so well in I am Somebody. I will definitely be looking forward to her performances and see how far she can go. 

[CP feels
  • Ren Min and Shi Bo Yu
  • Saliva couple (Yan Zi Dong and Cai Qi) [Spoiler: they team up again in the next performance]
[Overall] The level of criticism these directors give the actors are so direct and cruel is the main reason why I watch this. It's not just that it's cruel but it's also the truth which makes the criticisms that much harsher. There's just no way to deny the truth. Whenever the directors are ready to give their comments I sit tight, ready to bite my nails or squeal in pain for the actors. Or cry. And then laugh. It's just a lot of fun watching directors make these actors vulnerable on live TV. 

The actors who come onto this show, although have their confidence ripped into pieces, they gain a ton of exposure and any exposure is good exposure. A handful of them, if not all of them, have something to prove whether it's their character (ahem Zhang Ming En), their ability regardless of age (Ni Hong Jie, Wen Zheng Rong, etc.), or their ability regardless of experience (Wang Qiang, Zhang Yue, etc). Every actor has something to gain from this show and it's the perfect platform to showcase their skill and character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment