August 15, 2024

Rookie Cops | Review

Rookie Cops
A standard campus cadet drama infused with youthful vibes, love, friendship, and justice.
Notable Actors/Actresses
Daniel KangWi Seung-hyun
Chae Soo-binKo Eun-kang
Korean Title
Yours and Mine Police Class
Year2022
Episodes: 16



Cast


Daniel Kang:
Wi Seung-hyun
Chae Soo-bin:
Ko Eun-kang
Lee Sin-youn:
Kim Tak
Chun Young-min:
Shin A-ri
Park Sung-joon:
Yoo Dae-il
Park Yoo-na:
Gi Han-na
Kim Woo-seok:
Seo Bum-ju
Min Do-hee:
Woo Ju-young



Romcom/Romance Checklist



How much of the plot is angst/romance?
0 / 1 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 4 / 5
The ML
Cold–Lukewarm–Warm / Timid / Falls in Love First / Noble Idiot / CEO / General /
The FL
Bold / Cute / Cool & Independent / Falls in Love First / Better than ML / Noble Idiot / 
Describe the Relationship (the tropes):
Bickering Start / Childhood Connection / Cohabitation / Contract Marriage or Fake Couple / Enemies to Lovers / Hidden Identity / School to Adulthood / Love Triangle / Married Couple (Real) / Secretly in Love (ML) / Star-Crossed Lovers / 
Relationship Progress (officially together, first (official) kiss; breakup*):
Ep 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16
# of CPs (including main CP):
0 / 1 / 
2 / 3
Ending:
Happy / Sad / Open Happy / Open Sad / Bad


Review

by cynlynn


I judged this because of the idol ML. Then I ended up joining his fans (hahaha!). I never understood it, but now I get Kang Daniel's baby-faced charms. I didn't know a grown man's smile could be so cleansing. Who needs face-wash when we have his smile! 

Anyway. The drama. Why this worked for me: 
  • Show casted actors suitable for the rolesDaniel Kang (or Kang Daniel) matched the ML. His shy, sweet, and innocent smiles made the romance cuter. I really like his expressions when he caught feelings for our FL. He has a long way to go as an actor, but I think drama used him well. The more experienced actors (e.g. Lee Sin-youn, Park Sung-joon, Park Yoo-na) brought the emotional elements.
  • The fleshed out ensemble. Every one/pair/group had a story to tell.
  • Romance is cute and friendship is really touching. Even the secondary couples were engaging. There's multiple friendships being built as well. My favourite is the enemies-to-friends reconciliation between the girls, Chae Soo-bin, and Park Yoo-na's characters. I cried for them! (Ep8 marathon). 
  • There's comedy and entertainment. Drama works its strengths well. You have a cast of idols with healthy bodies. Why not show some skin....and dress them up as girls? xD
  • A scene stealer: Park Sung-joon as Yoo Dae-il. At the end, plot did feel like a scrambled egg, but the emotional elements struck me so hard. I will tenderly remember this show for its friendship.
FL character type might not appeal to everyone? I'm totally immune to this so I don't know how to gauge for everyone else. She is the headstrong type without the skills and gets herself in trouble a lot. However, I think she learns and cleans up her own (and others') mess. The trouble she gets into can be really hilarious too (e.g. her reckless truck driving in Ep10. So much screaming and swerving, lol).

Overall: I love the togetherness of the cast. It's a well balanced drama that I didn't think I would enjoy, but it turned out to be eventful and entertaining for most of its run. If you want a simple, ensemble youth drama, consider this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment