July 11, 2023

When I Fly Towards You | Gallery and Details

When I Fly Towards You
A high school boy meets his sunshine. 
Notable Actors/Actresses
Zhou Yi Ran: Zhang Lu Rang
Zhang Miao Yi: Su Zai Zai
Scriptwriter
(Author: Zhu Yi)
Chinese Title
當我飛奔向你
When I Fly/Dash Towards You
Year2023
Episodes: 24 + OST


Rewatch Notes


Picking at little details on my rewatch. Do not proceed unless you want to be spoiled

On this rewatch, I'm particularly appreciating two things: 
  1. All the "light"!! Our director (Mao De Shu / Cattree / Uncle Cat) is so meticulous. If there isn't natural sunlight, he deliberately captures a ray of light peeking through whether it's from a lamp, or a streetlight (see screenshots below). It aligns so subtly to the drama's core theme: our CP shines on and for each other. Uncle Cat, 🙇🏻‍♀️
  2. Zhang Lu Rang "secretly" falling in love. I'm rediscovering all those little moments that he fell for her. 

[Ep1The rainy day that disappeared, I really want to be sprinkled again –– Hey! Do you feel honoured? I seem to have only done two things today, both related to you. 
  1. Under the canopy of love, Zhang Lu Rang could have left immediately since the rain didn't bother him, but he stayed there and took another furtive glance at Su Zai Zai. "It was that glance, just that one glance that set the rest of their lives together so precisely ~" 
    • Credit: Zhou Yi Ran noticed this in one of their lives.
  2. If Zhang Lu Rang remembered Su Zai Zai from the kiosk, then helping her with luggages means ... he was already interested? <3 (Oh and from here on, notice that Su Zai Zai will never have to lift her own luggage ~) 
  3. Did Zhang Lu Rang recognize Su Zai Zai's voice in the infirmary too? 
  4. The subtle link between the ending title and the ending episode. First episode title, she asks if he feels honoured. In the last episode, he answers that it's his honour to marry her. 
[Ep2Liking you tightly knitting your brows, calling me a coward –– I'm not a coward. At least in front of you. my courage can take first place. 
  1. Zai Zai called him Rang Rang to be friendlier with him, but it is also her desire to match with him. Since she's Zai Zai, she wants him to be her Rang Rang. Since he has a dog Su Su, she wants a dog named Rang Rang. 
  2. Zai Zai's courage to love can take first place! Clearly, we all underestimated this "coward" in Ep2. 
[Ep3Can we be closer just a bit more... ––  Today I suddenly wanted to summon Aladdin just to grant one of my wishes. I wish to delete today's me from Rang Rang's memory. 
  1. Zai Zai didn't have to try to be his ideal type. She already was when she felt guilty for admiring Senior Shen, afraid that Rang Rang might misunderstand that he's not first place in her heart. How was she so precisely on the path that led directly to Rang Rang's vulnerability? 
  2. On the bus, Rang Rang walked past all those empty single seats to sit in the doubles. Did he want Zai Zai to sit next to him? Hm? <3 
  3. Who says Zai Zai doesn't love exercising? Look at all those straight balls she's throwing at him! 
  4. It's the first time Zai Zai told Rang Rang, "See you tomorrow". A smile almost peeps through as his gaze lingers on her ↓
Zhang Lu Rang ah, every "tomorrow" will be bright for you from now on (':
[Ep4When the word "eight" (八) has one stroke –– It would be great if my English grades can be sold to Rang Rang. I don't think it would be a loss for him at all because his teacher is me. 
  1. On the first watch, we couldn't have grasped at the depth of Rang Rang's pain when he left the house (his mother and his tutor) nor understand how much it meant to him for Zai Zai to tug at his sleeve. It was a tug at his heart. Her light and her warmth reached him like that orange street-light to the dark night. 
  2. It was this night, Zai Zai was already his "omnipotent delete key, a cure-all that can heal everything and anything." (Ep9) 
  3. On the basketball court, the one who hollered the line "走錯了! (Wrong direction!)" was Zhang Lu Rang. It's nearly impossible to differentiate Gu Ran and Zhang Lu Rang's voices but fans used the BTS to confirm this.... *claps...*)
[Ep5Those moments I never regretted –– If time can be suspended, then I hope they will always be my good friends, the kind that never separates. 
  1. The parallels in these lines
    • Su Zai Zai (Ep5 (~Ep1)): If I had known earlier that you would pick me up, I wouldn't mind being rained on again. 
    • Zhang Lu Rang (Ep24): If fate had told me beforehand that I would meet such a person, then could I pick to meet her earlier? 
    • These two. Don't love each other so much! (。♥‿♥。)
  2. Zai Zai's second "see you tomorrow" was after the rain and this time he really smiles. 
  3. Rang Rang is surprised when Zai Zai knew he demanded an apology from Class 1 Girl. It's because he never took credit and even shied away from it, but Su Zai Zai seems to have found a way to know everything he did without him saying it. To be seen like that so clearly must mean a lot to him. 
[Ep6When Su Su (蘇蘇) meets Su Su (酥酥) –– Today I have become Pinocchio again. Please don't let my nose grow long. If I don't look good, what should I do! 
  1. I don't think Su Zai Zai can imagine what her bunny meant to Zhang Lu Rang. As aloof as Zhang Lu Rang appears, he was never indifferent to his mother's neglect. He yearns for compliments and you could see it in the way he re-listens to Zai Zai's recording. When his every effort is met with his mother's unfair criticism, Su Zai Zai consistently rewards him for improving and for being himself. In her eyes, he glows so brightly, and so he tries harder to radiate for her. ("It's because when I fly towards the moonlight, the moonlight is also learning to fly to me." (Ep8))
  2. So Zai Zai said her strength was 1000m. I agree. Girl is a pro at long distance pursuit as long as the finish line is Zhang Lu Rang. 
  3. At lunch, when Su Zai Zai asked for meat and meat and meat and him – ha! she already wanted to "eat" him here –  he also bought her veggies. Caring guy. (How could his mother not love him?!)
[Ep7[You] performed well. Rewarded with 10 points –– That night I dreamed a long, long dream. In the dream, the fairytale had a perfect and beautiful ending. 
  1. Zai Zai was touched when he gave her his medal, but she doesn't know she gave him so much more, more than anyone has ever given him. She gave him the first place in her heart. 
  2. The Cinderella lines allude to when Zhang Lu Rang fell in love with Su Zai Zai: that one glance.
    • Su Zai Zai (Cinderella): Why do you like me? 
    • Zhang Lu Rang (Prince Charming): Among the entire dance floor, only you caught my eye.
    • Then in Ep24 when he presented (and confessed his love), she caught his eye the moment she entered the stadium. 
    • (Isn't it beautiful how subtle these connections are?)
[Ep8Hey! My Prince –– A 16 year old girl seems to be able to immerse herself in fairytales and movies at any moment, and let it become her sweet and cute little secret. 
  1. Zai Zai isn't Cinderella. She casted her magic on Zhang Lu Rang, letting him believe he can shine like the Prince Charming that he is in her eyes.
  2. Zhang Lu Rang taking his tiny steps of love towards her: 
    • He called her name "Su Zai Zai!" loud and clear. (He's calling her.)
    • He said "See you tomorrow" first. (He wants to see her.)
[Ep9You are more mesmerizing than the scenery –– If I had known that staying up late would make me miss the next day's train, I would definitely repent and reform myself to sleep early. 
"You already are."
  1. As early as Ep4, Su Zai Zai was already Zhang Lu Rang's "omnipotent delete key, a cure-all that can heal everything and anything." Because of her, he loves this world more. For she is what makes this world dazzle. (I'm loving the angle of the sunlight on Su Zai Zai) 
[Ep10It's the end of the world, I want to say to you...  – I'm starting to miss grandma, but I don't want to tell my dad because  I know he will miss his mother too. 
The "End of the World" that's okay as long as it's with her
  1. What is love? It's in the eyes. (。♥‿♥。)
  2. What is love? When you want to keep her warm. From giving her hot food at the station to hand warmers at the hotel to mittens when they're walking home, Zhang Lu Rang will ensure his little sunshine stays warm. 
[Ep11Happy New Year, Rang Rang –– This New Year's wish is that before I turn 100, the fireworks manufacturers will never run out of stock.
The New Year that's meaningful because of her.
  1. End of the world, check. End of the year, check. Now it's the beginning of their new world, their time. 
  2. Zhang Lu Rang is transparent at home, but with Su Zai Zai, he's all she sees. He doesn't need to tell her of his shrimp allergy. She just knows it :') 
[Ep12It would be nice if heroes could be more ordinary –– Although my nose is clogged, my hearing seems to be more sensitive. I can hear his voice so clear right in my ears that I don't seem to be afraid of anything.
  1. Not to diminish Gu Ran's loneliness in his family, but if he is sad that his parents are always busy but he knows that they love him, how does Zhang Lu Rang feel when his parents don't see him and don't love him? :(
  2. Zhang Lu Ran bought Zai Zai and Gu Ran medicine, but in this rewatch, I notice more and more how they were Zhang Lu Ran's medicine. 
  3. Zai Zai's real medicine isn't the pills. Her "sickness" can only be cured by him, and look at him, delivering himself in the ending scene (;
[Ep13Feelings that I can't disregard are called "throbbing" –– How can Rang Rang be cuter than a cat? Wait. That's wrong. To me, compared to cute, he's even cuter.
  1. "When a certain someone becomes special to you, your eyes will unconsciously focus on him/her." This line didn't only apply to Su Zai Zai. Zhang Lu Rang looked at her when he's asked what he's like when he's in love. Like that ↑. And she's like this ↓ 
[Ep14So Rang Rang likes sunflowers – It turns out the sunflower and the little sun illuminate each other. 
The half of the popsicle that she'll always share with him. 
The extra point/coin that she'll always reserve for him. 
Our sunflower facing his sunshine
  1. Zhang Lu Rang already confessed when he chose the sunflower after Zai Zai chose the sun.
[Ep15Something only I don't know –– This type of feeling, even jello can't heal me. I must be incurable
  1. In the last episode, Zai Zai asked Rang Rang what if she doesn't like him because he's not handsome, tall and rich. He wasn't afraid. He knows she loves him because look at all the confidence she's giving him! 
    • Her preposition: If she exists, her love exists. 
    • Her contrapositive: "If I don't love you, then I'm not me."
[Ep16[Our] Common idol –– Today I discovered a fan who's pampered by [our] "idol". [He's] so blessed. 
There's another type of light in this shot. The sun in the bus stop.
  1. To apologize to Zai Zai, Rang Rang crossed mountains and oceans (see bus stop, lol). 
  2. The multiple interpretation of the title. Zhang Lu Rang is pampered by our idol, Su Zai Zai. He really is blessed. 
[Ep17My seventeen year old birthday wish is related to you ––見字如面 (to see his/her words as if it's the real person), these four words have given us an enormous amount of courage to overcome all obstacles ahead
Ep17: they're 17.
  1. Every time it snows, Zai Zai makes a wish, but Rang Rang just stares at her. What more can he wish for anyway? :)
[Ep18Truly becoming an adult –– At this moment we have become deskmates. Great! 
Ep18: they're 18. 
  1. [C&P from Recaps] Persian Silk Tree. What could it mean? 1) The symbol of June, which means they can see each other again. 2) The flower meaning: "eternal love, a symbol of good harmony between husband and wife" 3) The tree in front of her condo?! He was thinking of those flowers because it was related to her.  
[Ep19Let's go see a light that's even brighter –– I'm envious that Rang Rang has such a good girlfriend. Of course, that's thanks to me. 
  1. When Rang Rang's bros confront him for concealing his relationship, he innocently asks if he hid it. That's not an understatement. The moment he felt her radiance, he never hid his feelings....!!! 
[Ep20Copy and paste. I have learned –– If one understands another well enough, then his/her heart (love) for you must be beyond imagination
Naughty.
  1. Rang Rang told his dormmates that his hometown was Jiangyi. Shouldn't it be Suyang?? He really wanted nothing to do with that "home" of his :( Well, he's better off without those parents. 
  2. Remember in Ep8, Zai Zai taught him this: "Rang Rang, you must keep good things to yourself." And look at how naughty he is now, hogging her all to himself. Now she has to hug a tree for the next four years of uni! 
[Ep21From now on, there is someone to share your happiness –– The same words, why does it sound better when Rang Rang says it? 
  1. Mother Su knows her daughter well and warned Rang Rang of Ep24 (Zai Zai's drunk outburst and all that singing). However, Mother Su doesn't know Rang Rang's love for Zai Zai. Her every imperfection is cute in his eyes for she is his world. 
[Ep22There's someone to listen to my afflictions –– On this hungry night, I really wish someone could fall from the sky and save me from this place
  1. The first time Rang Rang felt like he had a home. He filled their place with furniture, but it wasn't complete until Zai Zai truly moved in.
  2. Zai Zai knew Rang Rang needed "charging". She changed her direction the moment she could hear the weariness through his text. (But she had OT too!) 
[Ep23From beginning to end, your "love (always) had favouritism" –– We all deserve just as much love and so much love. 
Our two headed monster.
Every time I look at her, her eyes are filled with me. I keep thinking why is there someone so bright and beautiful like the sun. When I fail, when I'm having difficulties, when I want to give up, she will say, "It's fine. You to me is the best." I think that no one can reject this 偏愛 (love with favouritism)
  1. He talked about her love for him. But his love for her is just as great. 
[Ep24When I Fly Towards You –– Just that one look, that one brief look that set the rest of our lives together so precisely
  1. The proposal video. They're all clips that made Rang Rang happy, and they're all about Zai Zai from having lunch with her to her having extra pearls. The clips began from "the beginning of the world". On that train, could Rang Rang have decided that she was the one? <3
  2. Zai Zai drunkenly sings Na Ying's 征服 Conquer: "This is how I'm conquered by you!" (Being very serious about this: I don't know who was conquered by who....)
  3. This episode, Zai Zai kept asking to be kissed (after the presentation, and her drunken outburst). For the final kiss, Rang Rang pulls her into his lap and tells her she can kiss all she wants without asking. He's hers. 
  4. Rang Rang's wedding band that's glimmering in the sun. Did our sunshine Zai Zai use her entire savings since birth to finally marry him?
  5. The wedding OST playlist
    • Groom's Entrance: Jay Chou's Love Before BC. It's the song Rang Rang sang at Zai Zai's request during the concert. He did promise he'd sing for her again. 
    • Bride's Entrance: Jay Chou's Secret. It's the song Zai Zai wanted to sing with Rang Rang during high school. 

The End


On this rainy day Su Zai Zai caught the flu of love and Zhang Lu Rang met his cure, the sunshine of his life.

OST

Tell me how do I get out of this drama when I've been repeating the OST for hours now. Are the drama producers involved in writing the lyrics? How is it that the lines meld so well with the scenes? Just cherry-picking a few lines (lyrics in bold). 

♫♪ 耳喃 Ear Murmur – PIggy
  • You like to listen to Jay Chou's melody, [...] I can also sing love songs that move your heart. 
  • This is the first song in the Wedding Playlist. Rang Rang knows Zai Zai likes Jay Chou and so the whole playlist has their memorable Jay Chou songs. (。♥‿♥。)
♫♪ We – Sour Moon
  • Baby I'm a fool for you when I wake and see the sunshine on my face
  • Notice "We" and "Us" are the theme in the wedding playlist. 
♫♪  心動節奏 Heartbeat Rhythm – Ayi Jihu
  • Zai Zai's perspective
  • Just what kind of girl can win your favour? I really want to fall in love with you, worship you and hear you say "love". 
♫♪ April Encounter – Hen Mei Wei (Very Tasty)
  • Rang Rang's perspective
  • You walked into me, stretched your palms out, and (tightly) held my hands without letting go
  • Zai Zai lovingly barged into Rang Rang's small, small world and never let go of him since. 
  • I want to tell you of all the ways you love me.
♫♪ 與你共赴 Go With You – Hen Mei Wei (Very Tasty) 
  • An OST wishing to watch fireworks, the sea, the starry sky and every corner of the world together, but ends with appreciating that every small moment with "you" is colourful and is rare. 
♫♪ 遇見克萊因藍 Meeting Klein Blue – Zhang Xi Meng 
  • Is tomorrow the end of the world? Quickly answer! What do you want to do? Do it! Flickering lights, fluttering dance
♫♪ 畢業留言 Graduation Message – Meng Fan Ming
  • The table and chairs, the group photos, the summer that passed. Let's not say goodbye anymore
  • After graduation, our couple has never been separated. 
♫♪ 你是不是也想和我一起走走 Walk With Me – Yin Yu Xi 
  • Every moment and every where,  the heart that loves you, will always be here (在 = Zai). 
♫♪ 當我奔向你 When I Run Towards You – Lin Chen Yang 
  • Zai Zai's perspective. 
  • I was once in pursuit of your silhouette, but was held captive by my own cowardiceAllow me one more try to courageously lock eyes with you.
  • "Cowardice"
    refers to Zai Zai (Ep2); "Allow"is the same "Rang" for Rang Rang. "One more" sounds like "Zai" 
♫♪ 我想我會 I Think I Will – Yin Lu Xi
  • Rang Rang's perspective.
  • I think you will walk step by step towards me, I think you will know the truest me, just like the moon and the sunset will never miss each other. 
♫♪ 當我走向你 (I do)  When I Walk Towards You (I Do) – Yang Mo Yi
  • Their oath song.
  • In this moment that I gaze upon your eyes, they look like the sun and the stars. Time pauses for a moment
♫♪ 盛夏日記 Midsummer Diary – Xiao Huo Chai (Little Match) 

♫♪ Before – Li Xue Shi / Ze Yue / Zhu Ya Nan

♫♪ 夏夜露天電影 Summer Night Outdoor Movie – The White Coast

♫♪ 佩奇的夏天 Peppa's Summer  – Loft Youth (閣樓演奏班) [There's a 2021 version]

♫♪ 晚安 Goodnight – Heyt (Huang Hai Tao)

♫♪ 輕輕的夏天 Gentle Summer – Yin Lu Xi

♫♪ 我喜歡夕陽月亮還有... I Like The Sunset Moon and... – Carbonated Boy 

Wedding Playlist

Drama had a separate wedding playlist and drama-speaking, it was Zhang Lu Rang who composed the list because he did all the wedding planning. Look at these songs, he's such a romantic and there's so much Jay Chou for Zai Zai. (I added links to non-OSTs)

Prelude: These songs capture all the summers they fell in love in. 

♫♪ 耳喃 Ear Murmur – PIggy
♫♪ 夏夜露天電影 Summer Night Outdoor Movie – The White Coast 

Groom Entrance: RR sang this for ZZ


Bridal Entrance: ZZ wanted to sing this with RR


The Oath: They are now "us" 

♫♪ 當我走向你 (I do) When I Walk Towards You (I Do) – Yang Mo Yi
♫♪ 這世界那麼多人 Empty World – Karen Mok (There's so many people in this world, I'm so blessed that I have a "us")
♫♪ 我们俩 We Both – Guo Ding (Zhang Miao Yi (ZZ) requested Zhou Yi Ran (RR) to sing this on a livestream! That was so well planned). 

The Toast 

♫♪ 輕輕的夏天 Gentle Summer – Yin Lu Xi
♫♪ 你是不是也想和我一起走走 Walk With Me – Yin Yu Xi 

No comments:

Post a Comment