October 31, 2021

Open Thread #6

Happy Halloween!
Thread #6

Agenda
→ Volunteer Recaps Appreciation! 
→ Year End Caps 
→ Squid Game (Ending Spoiler) 


[Volunteer Recaps]
I am honoured to have these amazing people providing recaps here
 

[Year-End Caps (Brainstorm)]
Happy Halloween! This means the next holiday is Christmas and this means the year is almost over!! Omg. The good news is it's time for year-end caps ~ If you care, that is. They will appear mid-January when all the 2021 dramas have finished airing. I don't think I have nearly as many ideas for lists as I did last year. I'm brainstorming these ones: 
  • 2021 Favourite Actors & Actresses [5 for each] 
  • 2021 Best *CharacterType* (e.g. CEO, but it's not going to be CEO, it'll be a surprise!) [5?]
  • 2021 Favourite Couples [5 or 10] 
  • I won't have a Top Drama list because it's redundant when my ratings are already there. 
I THINK I may accept list submission from you guys (if there's anyone interested). For example: 
  1. You can submit your list of the same categories that I do (e.g. Bob's 2021 Top 5 Favorite Actors) 
  2. You can submit a unique list (e.g. Jane's Top Five Most Annoying Character) 
  • Repeat: I am thinking about this. I'm hesitant because I don't know the specifics of it yet, but I thought I'd let you guys know anyway. If you've got feedback on how I can do this efficiently and inclusively, you can submit it right below (or in the comment section) 

Will I make a POLL for everyone to vote on best drama etc.? 
  • No. Too much work! (1) I gotta think about the categories. (2) I cannot ensure that only one person can vote once so it’s meaningless when the results can’t be representative. 


[Squid Game (Korean)]
For the first time, everyone will want to be squares for Halloween. 

Let me just say that I didn't want to watch Squid Game but I was forced to sit down for the first episode (hence why I chose that picture at the top). And then after that I watched it on my own freewill because I couldn't stop; I had to see the end of this morally corrupt drama. But is it morally corrupted or is it human nature? 

I would think: "What if I was in the game?" Would I be like Seong Gi-Hun? Cho Sang-Woo? For sure I would not be Ali. Or Han Mi-Nyeo. Or Jang Deok-Soo. That I know. By the end I've concluded I'd probably be the ones who died in the first game of Red Light, Green Light. Pity. But! For the record, I don't think I'll move during Red Light. I'd probably just run out of time because I'd be too scared to maneuver over the bloodbath. 

Characters/Scenes: 1) I cried a lot for the two girls' marble game especially when Ji Yeong just dropped the marble like that. 2) I don't like the MC - Seong Gi-Hun. I made that decision to dislike him during the marble game. Grandpa had multiple lapses of "amnesia" and I felt like those were all chances for Seong Gi-Hun to return Grandpa's "kindness". Not once did Gi-Hun lie in favour of the Grandpa which contradicts the "righteousness" that his character has developed to that point. From then on, he was superficial and fake to me. I could not pity the guy. I prefer Cho Sang-Woo who at least was true to himself, accepted that his morality was rotting . 3) I had an odd satisfaction of watching the trash taking out the trash. The scene where Han Mi-Nyeo took out Jang Deok-Soo was fitting.... 4) I saw 001 coming from the very beginning. I swear!! It was particularly in plain sight when Oh Il-Nam was in pristine condition during Lights Out and how he wouldn't disclose his name. He founded this game and the foundation of it is reducing people to numbers and to rudimentary shapes, stripping them of their identity. He'd be the last person who would want to share his name. 

Random Recommendation: Liar Game [J] - morally corrupted with a lot of cash involved too but minus the brutality.

Verdict: I've never felt so compelled to watch something that I felt so disgusted with. It was disturbing and engrossing and disturbingly engrossing. Time well spent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment