January 31, 2020

Under The Power | Recap and Review

Under the Power
A cold jinyiwei thawing in love for a street officer.
Notable Actors/Actresses
Ren Jia LunLu Yi
Tan Song YunYuan Jin Xia
Couple Nicknames
一下夫妇 = Yi Xia Fu Fu = Instantly a couple
六元一斤虾 = Liu Yuan Yi Jin Xia = 6 RMB per gram of shrimp (pretty genius)
尽()忠报 = Jing Zhong Bao Guo = Loyalty to the country
Chinese Title:
锦衣之下
NetworkMangoTV
Year: 2019
Episodes55



Mini Recaps


Ep5: Underwater fight scene is pretty amateur-ish but thrilling-ish (apparently this was filmed 3years ago so I'll give it some slack)
Ep6: Tang Song Yun prepping for her teary show. Clap Clap Clap. Even Lu Da Ren is amused
Ep7: She stabs herself to save a friend. Lu Da Ren is worried but won't admit it. Instead he orders his subordinate to give her ointment but she refuses because she thinks it's poisonous. Only until he personally delivers the ointment does she apply it
Ep8: He takes her out for lunch because her stomach grumbles at work. Aww. It's a shabby place but he knows the noodles are good there that's why he took her there. She eats at lightening speed, shocking Lu Yi. Now that's one thing he can't beat her at. So many funny dialogue in this ep but too much to write. 
"Who ate my croissants?" - glare -
And then there's also this scene. Tang Song Yun got so many comments for her croissant hairdo. They look like devil horns to me. In an interview, Ren Jia Lun revealed the whole set laughed at her during filming. 
Ep9: Umbrella scene 😍. 
JX: 大人,您不覺得我也挺招人心疼的嗎? (Da Ren, Don't you think I need some caring too) 
Ep10: Love the subtleties, from letting her unconsciously touch to initiating it.
Me think Lu Yi was smitten by this line (her truthful feelings of him as she thinks she's nearing her death in the freezing cold)
JX: 天塌下來都有人扛 (Even if the sky falls, you're there to stop it) 
Ep11: Hot springs; furtive gazes 😉 Look at that pose of his. (Side note: During filming, Ren Jia Lun purposely requested to be seated higher so he can look that cool) 
Ep12: She's (drooling while) staring at him sleeping. She liiiikkkkess him. Or at least thinks he's handsome (and capable when he skillfully shoots down pigeons in pitch darkness).  
Ep13: Ha, she's frozen and completely vulnerable to the wolf LY is. Nah, he's just tricking Yan Shi Fan but how I wished this scene was real when I saw it in the opening song. The only thing I can praise Yan Shi Fan for is sending Jin Xia to his bed because she's Lu Yi's favourite. Lu Yi's so happy relieved seeing that it's her. 
Jin Xia sweetly appeasing him after Xie Xiao's proposal
First time Lu Yi openly stop her from leaving with another man. (:(:(:
  • LY: 你怎知我付不了這責 (How would you know I can't take this responsibility?)
Ep 14: I'm baffled at her thank-you-lunch to Lu Da Ren. The ingredients are from the department (with zero meat), the cooking was mostly done by Yang Yue, the alcohol was from Lu Da Ren himself. Zilch was from her and yet she asks for a favour over lunch. Lu Da Ren accepts her request (of searching for her parents) in exchange for leaving him alone and never having this type of meal ever again.
Ep15: Lu Da Ren is in a sour mood because of Xie Xiao's confession then brightens up when Xie Xiao is rejected, lol. The almighty, serious Lu Da Ren is happy enough to participate in the water lantern festival. He gives her his wish and she uses it on him.
JX: I wish for Lu Da Ren to always be happy and not have this scary face all day.
-LY smiles- the wish worked like a charm 
Ep16: He's tired of pretending to be brothers and sisters so he says they're husband and wife. Now he's leaning against her head. He's initiating all the physical contact now eh.
Ep17: He puts a blanket on the sleeping Jin Xia but neither manage to fall asleep. He shares a personal story about his bracelet, the only memoir of his mother. It's a bracelet that forever ties him to his mother. The next day he loses that bracelet in the middle of a fight which Jin Xia risks her life to retrieve. Lu Yi, ah, Lu Yi, how can you not fall in love? Meanwhile she dreams of him being lovely to her. I won't lie, I thought it was a real scene.
Ep18: Re-watching, I think her love is starting to show with her openly admiring him
Ep19: She tries to save him but it's him that saves her. 
Ep20: Jin Xia doing her best not to molest him while he allows her to wipe him down
Ep21: Their lives are tied together as they're forced to jump off a cliff. This isn't a historical drama without at least one cliff scene.
LY: If we die, we die together; if we live, we live together
Lu Yi's step uncle gives them an antidote to apply. Jin Xia softly helps him. Ah ~~. Uncle calls her out for taking advantage of Lu Yi. He just smiles knowingly, remembering all the times she's touched him. He's used to it after all. Hahahaha.
They meet the doctor and here comes Jin Xia's lying skills. Lu Yi's expressions are priceless. When Lu Yi plays along, that one line from him makes me feel all fuzzy inside. His lines are so powerful.
Ep22: She made me cry, risking her life to save him. I do feel a little cheated that she lied the first time with the gun which fooled him too :(
Ep23: She feeds him medicine with her mouth but he bites her hard. Lol. When he finally wakes up he notices that she's changed to a more feminine outfit (he likes it) and that her mouth is injured. I wonder whyyyy
Ep24: At her brink of death, she asks him if he could take care of her mother with her pension. No way. LY won't let her die on him. 
LY: This bracelet, I'm giving it to you. My mother's memoir. I treat it as if it's my life. I value this a lot and now I'm giving it to you. You must cherish it -flashbacks of her- I'm giving this to you so you mustn't die. 
JX: Da Ren, is it the bracelet that you'll be missing or me? You.
He carries her back to the cottage and feeds her medicine. I wonder why she's able to swallow it. She could have bit him back. At least he gives her a forehead kiss. Is this the first time Lu Yi called her "Jin Xia" (as she's in the bed with everyone surrounding her) When she finally wakes up all the tension from LY's face disappears. But he doesn't show it to her! She's disappointed when he leaves her alone. Shuang Guang Xi even gave him an opportunity to be alone with her. 
So funny when he pulls up his chair right next to her during breakfast. 
Ep25: LY: 只是大人嗎? [Am I only Da Ren to you?] (不是的). Aww so he's come to terms with himself about liking her but she's still a naive about her own feelings.
Ep28: Cute! He’s a kid now 😂. He switched from Lu Da Ren to an 8 year old child in a split second, amazing. She even slaps his butt lol
At 13 years old: Stealing back the bracelet :( 
At 8 years old: Calling her "姐姐", sleeping together because he's afraid of thunder, and revealing her dream of wanting to eat him (i.e. gobble him up and make him hers, literally.)
Lu Yi (22yo) pretending to be an 8yo
Ep29: My favourite episode! (For now) 
  • Laughing at how he takes advantage of her while pretending to be a kid: holds onto her arm, plays with her hand, rests his head on hers & purses his lips for her to wipe it. I can’t believe the real Lu Da Ren is doing this
  • Then he really does linger on her hand as he puts the bracelet back onto her wrist
  • She’s falling in love just by staring at him standing there😍 
  • She stops knocking his door from this episode forward and just barges in lol
Ep30: She blatantly tells him he’s handsome & he loves it. She's only got eyes for him, ha. They're disguised as normal civilians and he doesn't want her to call him Da Ren, so she calls him Lu 13th as a joke (she called him that from their previous undercover mission). They've got this inside joke that Xie Xiao doesn't understand. 
Only JX can put that thing on his head. LY wants to be a pair with JX so he accepts the fish (i.e. steal it back from Xie Xiao) while she's the bird. This Fish♥Bird is from episode 15 when JX made a flying bird-fish cutout.


Ep32: He's so gentle with JX when he wipes the powder from her face and applies ointment to her hand. How can she not fall in love.
She confessed to kissing him!

Ep33: He's the one who actually kisses her! But she’s drunk... He tried to be sneaky and make her initiate the kissing. Tsk tsk. He then pulls out a hairpin (with a bird plus "Xia" engraved on it). Since when did he get that for her? He looks so blissful with her at the rooftop. However, the next morning he denies giving her the hairpin. Why? Look how disappointed she is.  

There's this special event JX dresses up for. She's supposed to be really pretty that even LY does a double take but...she looks really bad in that dress... Anyways all the ladies in the village perform and the men choose the winner (Miss Universe?) LY didn't give a straight compliment but he did say this: 

LY: But someone's harp sounds played to the tune of my heart. 
Ep35: It’s not even a confession, it’s a proposal...
LY: I used to wonder about what type of woman I would spend the rest of my life with and have children with. Never would I have thought it would be someone like you.  
Ep36: She flirts back with him 😂. He so smug. All of a sudden he’s saying such romantic stuff with such a straight face. I am thoroughly impressed.
LY: I can't let you be in danger. Facing it on my own will be less of a hindrance.
JX pauses: Then let me hinder you.
LY: So now you're not listening to me anymore, are you?
Ep37: "你能不能聽話點" (Can you listen just a bit?) it’s not an order anymore, he's exasperated
Ep38: That pull into his lap, so 霸氣 ~ That tease with her food, so sweet.
Ep39: He rids everyone to apply ointment for her ♥. And when she questions his love for her: 
LY: Me, Lu Yi, the one and only woman I want to marry is you, Yuan Jin Xia. ♥
LY: Wait for me
Ep40: That I-can't-let-you-go hug. Ren Jia Lun is too good. He tells her to wait for him and this is her reply in a letter: "I will wait for you"
JX: I will wait for you. 
Meanwhile, LY is thirsty for more
LY: Other than these three words, are there no other (words)?
Ep42: Omg thank you. I can start liking the bratty cousin a bit now. 
Ep43: Absence sure makes the heart grow fonder. They hug each other in the middle of battle like the battle didn't exist anymore. He rushed back to save her despite sustaining injuries himself.  
    • JX: Why didn't you wake me up?-close up on their eyes as he stares at her- 
    • JX: Is there something on my face?
    • LY: I just wanted to look at you a bit more.-touches her face but JX is worried about his injured hand-
    • JX: Look at you, you're this injured. Why would you risk everything to come back?
    • LY: Because I'm worried about you. I'm afraid everyone will know to retreat except you. I'm worried that you'll be silly enough to continue to wait for me.
    • JX: Of course I'll wait for you. But I won't be silly enough to risk my life.
    • LY: But I can (risk my life for you) ♥-close up on eyes-
    • LY: Touched? Electrified.
Ep44: "Feed me." His subordinate is clearly suffocating from this sweetness overload.
Ep45: JX and LY's first date

           JX: Is it dead or alive. LOL

           JX: What type of fur
           JX: Two legs or four? 

LY sighs and tells her she'll know when they're there but her curiosity cannot be blocked. LY can't help but answer all her questions. Them holding hands is very cute too. Everything they do is cute. 

JX: Da Ren, did you receive anything rewarding during this (business) trip?
- LY pauses -
LY: You.
JX is very much enamoured with him as well. (How can he be so cold and warm and fuzzy at the same time?) 
Jin Xia: Being an investigator sure is cool (she says this as LY passes by)
Yang Yue corrects her, I think you mean one specific person.
 
Ep46: This is episode where he's set on marrying her. She's waiting for him to come home. Disappointed that he's late but she brightens up immediately when he appears. After dinner a drunk JX gets a piggyback ride from LY
JX: Do you remember when you gave me this bracelet I asked you a question (Is it the bracelet that you'll be missing or me?)
LY: Of course I remember.
JX: You still haven't replied me though
- LY smiles -
JX: Don't just smile, answer me!
LY: Maybe at that time it was you. I wanted to motivate you.
JX: So at that time you already loved me, didn't you?
LY: Yes.
- Flashback to the forehead kiss -
JX's mom sets her up for another blind date. She shows up with red hot lipstick and cherry cheeks.
She's caught by an amused LY. She tells him a lot of men fancy her but she hasn't liked any of them.
LY asks amusingly: Who would you like to marry?
- JX ponders on it and then smiles at him -
LY: Okay - smiles -
JX: Okay? What do you mean?
LY: I understand.
JX: Huh?
- LY wipes her smudged lipstick -
- JX wipes her rosy cheeks and rubs it on his but then realizes she just ate pig trotters with her hand -
- LY smile drops and pinches her cheeks. I almost  forgot LY was a clean freak.-
Lu Yi staring at his precious treasure 
Ep47: LY goes to her home and semi-formally proposes. Mom is being fussy when she realizes she finally has to let her daughter go but she approves. After that, they go on a sweet date. She gifts him a fish jade. JX has liked fishes since she was a kid and now her first present to him is her favourite thing. LY sweetly smiles at the jade. JX asks him what he's smiling about...
LY: I found a treasure. Words within words. The treasure he means is JX herself. 
(What happened to the hairpin he gave her?)

Ep48: Ah the past is revealed. Aaaaaand here we go with this noble stuff. Siiiiiiiiiiigh. He better pick up that handkerchief she made for him after he rejected her that harshly.

Ep49: Lu Yi, you idiot. Why would you hurt her and yourself like that.
Ep51: What kind of punishment is this? Omg. He hammers a nail into her hand... Omggggg they're hammering it all over her body now. This is way too cruel....
Lu Yi finally manages to save her (after begging Yan Shi Fan). He's at her bedside waiting for her to gain conscious, waiting for her to be okay. Flashback to JX's words "Don't you think I deserve some caring too?" (Direct translation: "make your heart ache"). 
LY: You do make people care for you ("make people's heart ache"). It really hurts. 
Xiang Guang Xi tells Lu Yi he needs some rest (he's been up for two days caring for JX)
LY: I won't fall under. I must be with her. 
Then she wakes up. LY forgot though that he broke up with her. He can't explain to her why he saved her. She's waiting for his answer but he avoids it. Ah, my tears.  It pains her even more thinking that LY is still abandoning her. 


Ep52: Lan liar (the fake priest) comments on how JX is his ultimate weakness. LY disagrees.
LY: Jin Xia is my weakness. But she is also my armor. I can lower my pride for her. But it is also her that gives me my motivation to compete. 
Same time elsewhere JX comforts Auntie Lin who's worried about her
JX: Don't worry auntie, I had my fortune told. I have a golden armor god protecting me. I won't die. Hmmmmmm I wonder who. They're each other's motivation and protection.
Auntie Lin and JX learns the inevitable truth. Auntie points a sword at LY but JX blocks it with all her might. She kneels and bows her head begging Auntie to let him go. Maaan these two keep kneeling for each other. She returns him the bracelet but LY's resisting it. He keeps calling her name to take it back but she pushes him away. She also catches him hovering near her house but she can't call out to him.
JX: How many times did he come? How many times did he wait under the tree? Many times. 
LY's dad dies. My tears... He's got no one now
JX visits but doesn't tell him. She just watches him from afar. 
Ep53: Lan Pian Zi ): 
A tear drops as Jin Xia sees Lu Yi forced to succumb to Yan Shi Fan. Can't she just make up with him already? Her heart hurts seeing LY being bullied. 

Ep54: How come Lu Yi can`t do a single thing to protect Lan Pian Zi when he's right there. Lu Yi has to suffer way too many loses in the span of a few days. His last words to Lu Yi is to cherish Jin Xia. Boy, just care about your life! 

Ep55: Yan Shi Fan finally pays for his sins. Uncle asks Jin Xia about her future plans, she digresses but we all know he's asking about Lu Yi. He tells her to take initiative because if she's going to wait for Lu Yi to come all the dishes will turn cold 
That night LY secretly enters her room to steal the transcript his dad left for Jin Xia. But Jin Xia catches him at the door. He tells her that he'll pay for the sins his father had committed. She doesn't know what he's stolen but stops him from leaving. He doesn't turn around but grabs tightly onto her hand before he leaves her. I like how such a simple scene like this makes my heart yearn for more. The next morning, he sends the script to the His Majesty that explains his family's wrongdoings in the handling of Jin Xia's family. His Majesty punishes LY and sends him to jail where he awaits to be beheaded. TearfestThe only way to see LY is to gather some money. JX begs mom to dig up her marriage funds. Mom: No way. JX promises her that she'll get herself married even without that money. She will.  
When LY sees her, he tells her stuff like: "Don't waste your money," "Find someone to marry." etc. 
JX: Do you know what I went through to see you. I used half my salary and all my marriage funds. I promised my mom I will get married without that fund which is why she was willing to give me the money. You once told me that the woman who will give birth to your children is me, Yuan Jin Xia. You promised to marry me. How can you not keep your words? She's crying now
He's touched. She changes the topic and says the food must be terrible here and promises to find a way to get him better food. He nods. He nodded! He finally reaches out to her hands while she too extends her hand to wipe his tears. 
She does manage to save him from death.  But he's still in prison for an indefinite amount of time. 
LY: Silly girl, just how many things did you do for me. I'll never be able to pay you back. 
She uses all her money to visit him. But as per king's order no one can visit him. So when it comes to the moon cake festival she manages to get the guards to send a moon cake to him. Inside she left a note: "I'll wait for you". Mooncake festival is in the fall and now they're in winter. I read somewhere that in the novel, he's imprisoned for three years. 
JX went to visit him again in the cold winter. She's practically sick but awaits outside the prison doors. And then it finally opens (King finally remembers how loyal LY's father was and decides to release Lu Yi). 
JX: I waited for you for so long, I thought you wouldn't come.
LY: I told you to wait for me so I will definitely come back to you. I can't disappoint you.
JX: Da Ren Let's go home.
LY nods. Where's home?
JX: Da Ren, from today onward let's never separate again.
LY agrees.
JX: From now on, I'll take care of you (money-wise)
LY: Just from your little salary. I don't think that's enough
JX: Um..
LY: Don't worry. His Majesty has allowed me to return to work.
JX: Then Da Ren, can you increase my salary?
LY: When we marry, the entire family's money will be yours.
JX: Really! Thank you Da Ren.
The end. 
Perfect. 

News / Videos


Ren Jia Lun was on the rise to fame when The Glory of Tang Dynasty (2017) aired. "Unfortunately" he announced his marriage right after and quite a few fans left. I would say it's fortunate because the fans he has now are less delusional as his fame surges once again. He's got everything: fame, family, and acting skills to boot! He's also into singing and dancing. Additionally he used to be a ping pong player and was once an SM trainee(?). I saw the clip of him playing ping pong with a professional and he was so cool! I'm officially a RJL fan. 

He's also got a "dark" history, ha ha ha. His real name is "Ren Guo Chao", Guo = country and Chao = super. Lol. Paired with his amazing name and his sentimental blog in the past, his fans have named that blog's entries "Country's Documentary" or something like that, lol. His posts are "slightly" embarrassing where he's motivating himself, complaining about the unfairness he's received, celebrating his birthday alone, etc, etc. He also signs off as "Prince". Ha ha ha ha. All of those posts are collected and combined into one "book" or in other words, one documentary. Ren Jia Lun faces two divided fandom, one that calls him "Jia Lun", the other that calls in "Guo Chao". Both fandom love him, of course. He's being made fun of so much for this but he accepts it with a laugh and it's so funny to watch. He's also confused because his "dark" history was already brought up in 2017, and now once again in 2020. That's because you're popular again! The interviewer showed Tang Song Yun snippets of the documentary. She laughed so hard for so long they had to halt filming. Poor Guo Chao, I mean Jia Lun.  



Love this music video. Tang Song Yun sings the OST. The scenes here are so sweet and doesn't spoil the entire drama.

In another interview Tang Song Yun was asked which man she would prefer in real life from the three men in the drama: a silly and brash man who only loves her, a caring man who's genuine, or a coldhearted Lu Yi. She chose Lu Yi. Her reasoning was this: once Lu Yi falls in love he'll be everything and more. So true.

There's also another interview with Han Dong. Turns out he's the one who suggested his character, Yan Shi Fan, to have a love line with Auntie Lin. I like this actor; breathing life into his role.

P.S My favourite BTS: Ren Jia Lun acting as an eight year old. I'm pretty sure I watched all the BTS's possible. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment